• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

NHL Cancels Hockey Season

Rate this topic

It's official. I can't beleive these greedy bunch of morons let this happen.

Big grins from a former hockey widow - lol. It's hard to feel sorry for the players - must be kind of difficult living on just one or two million a year - don't suppose they managed to save any for a rainy day - considering the paltry sums they "earned". ttfn Jennifer

Popularity polls consistently show that 75% of the public who cares anymore blame the players. I blame both sides. To the players' credit, they were locked out, they didn't go on strike. They didn't ask for more, more , more, like we see in many labour disruptions. They just didn't think it was up to them to keep the owners from throwing their money around (idiot insurance is what they called the salary cap). Really, how many of us are going to tell our employers they are paying us too much? The fact that they ended up agreeing to a cap is a huge turnaround from where they were 3 days ago. They accepted a $49 million per team salary cap, which was rejected, even though the average team salary after the already offered 24% pay cut was in the mid-30's. Just because a team can spend up to a certain amount doesn't mean they will, and you only have to look at the disparity in team payrolls now to see that.

For the owners, 2 of the other 3 major leagues have salary caps, and they are doing pretty well for themselves, even if the NBA cap is somewhat of a joke. The owners wanted a salary cap in the $31-35 million per team range, with that number based on 54% of league revenues. They finally ended up going to $42.5 million, without that number fluctuating on league revenues, which was a huge change for them to offer. Based on last year's revenue, this would have represented 61% of revenue. It's incomprehensible to me that they players turned down this cap (which average salary works out to the same as where they are now), knowing (only an idiot can't realize this) that the league is going to be seriously hurt now with the cancellation of the season, and salaries are only going to go way down now.

Both sides could have made the deal happen in the last 24 hours, but chose not to. I hope both sides feel lots of pain in their bankbooks, that still won't even come close to what they've done to the minmum wage workers who depended on these games for their living, not just their luxuries.

I am deeply disappointed. Just goes to show you how greedy and arrogant some people can be.

To cancel an ENTIRE nhl season is simply absurd! The NHL has lost a great deal of respect from me, a major hockey fan. I can't believe both sides could let this happen. Very unfortunate....

It's a darn shame that it has come to this. When the fans don't come back, it will teach them a good lesson. Amazingly, after not hearing one bit about the fans through this whole ordeal, I saw the owner of the Flyers on TV last night talking about how he really feels bad for the fans, and how when they do come back, they'll have to drop ticket prices.

After a couple of baseball strikes, I realized just how little the sport cared about the fans, so I began to care little about the sport. Even though I am a former 10-year season ticket holder, my feelings for the sport will be acutely affected. :sad:

Howard

Lots of talk today that a bunch of players and owners are doing some back-room talking to try to salvage things for this season. As if LOL