• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

1st time cruiser

Rate this topic

lilrosie

hello I am lilrosie..new to cruising..Hubby and I will be going on our very first April 7th 2005..we are going on our 15th Anniversary..We are going on 4 night 5 day on Carnival Inspiration..anybody been on that one ?? How is it?? I am soo excited..this may sound corny..but I have always dreamed of going on one since THE LOVE BOAT first appeared on TV...I have a few questions if you dont mind helping...How can I enjoy it without gaining a Ton of Weight..and still enjoy all the food I have heard is soo great...Is it ok to tip at the end of the cruise the people that take care of us..room..waiter etc..or do we tip each time they clean the room and/or serve us dinner??...do we have to get the Credit card that Carnival offers..or can we just use our Bank Visa Credit Card?/ I feel like a child going to Disney World for the first time..I am soo excited..oh and I know they have the formal night..but the other nights would capris be ok..or do I wear slacks and blouse?? We are very casual people..though looking forward to the Formal NIght just dont care to dress up every night..BTW I found this forum searching online and Totally love it..You all seem to be so very helpful..I love the way you All get excited for someone else going on the cruise..I am addicted and havent even been on my cruise yet...I still have 1 month and 15 days to go..god it seems like forever..lol anyways..thanks in advance for any help you can give...any tips would be appreciated..

Hello, 1st time cruiser, and welcome to CruiseCrazies! Congrats on your 1st cruise. If you think that your addicted now, just wait till your cruise is over.

I'll try to answer most of your questions. First, I have never been on the Carnival Inspiration so I can't answer anything about that ship. I'm sure that there are more than one on the board that has been on that ship.

As for weight, my wife and I have never gained more than 2 pounds on any cruise. Just keep active and there should not be too much of a problem. Carnival will charge you a flat fee for the tipping which will go on your final bill. You can adjust how much they take if you don't like the service you got. At the end of the cruise, you may also give extra if you really liked the service. Tips are added directly to the bar bill as you sign for it. BTW, use any credit card you like. They take most cards, and it doesn't have to be a Carnival card. As for dress codes, the only thing that you don't see in the dining room at dinner is shorts, but maybe I'll let one of the young ladies on the board give you dress advice.

Enjoy the anticipation. It is all part of the cruise experience. When you get back, and book your next cruise, the anticipation doesn't get any less. :grin:

Howard

Hi and welcome.

Not been on the Inspiration, but have done Carnival a couple times. You don't have to eat everything they throw at you, and I find at dinner, the portions are on the small size, so you can feel like trying other stuff off the menu, or saving space for food in other places. Plus, you do a lot of walking, and you can use stairs instead of elevators if you feel the need for some extra exercise. Plus, they have a gym on board.

Tips are either automatically added to your shipboard account, or you pay the service providers on the final night. They aren't expecting you to pay them on a daily basis or anything like that. Drinks have a 15% tip added on to the bill.

No, you don't have to use a Carnival credit card. Your room key will be your shipboard account card, and you use whatever credit card you wish to guarantee this account. or you can go to the pursers desk and put cash down on it.

Your dinner dress suggestion will be fine.

Have a great time on your first, and surely not last, cruise.

Congrats on your upcoming first cruise - and welcome to Cruisecrazies!!!! Haven't been on the Inspiration but have been on the Glory - don't worry - almost anything goes in the dining room except shorts, blue jeans (and they are getting lax there) and bathing suits. Other than that as long as it is clean and neat go for it. As for the weight issue - the portions are small and someone assured me that due to the buoyancy of the ship on the water the calories don't actually count on a cruise :o) - hey so I'm gullible. There are lots of activities and just walking around the ship is wonderful and good exercise. Also take the stairs instead of the elevator and limit yourself to two desserts lol. Enjoy the anticipation - have fun. TTFN Jennifer

Morning Everyone!

lilrose....I, like the others haven't been on the Inspiration, but have been on the Imagination, and the Paradise....Both r the same class of ship...U should like the Inspiration,....As far as evening dress in the main dining rooms, I recently returned from the Triumph... One nite a guy came in, in dress shorts, they allowed him to order, and come back in when the food arrived!!!....Y he never went back to his cabin and change pants , I have no idea!!!!...

As far as tipping, Carnival does take out like $10.00 a day for everyone..U can adjust that if u want to...If someone...gives u very very good service, Like your room steward, waiters @ dinner, or even a bartender or too...U can always tip them more if u want to...Gave our room steward an extra $20.00 and 3, 20 minutes phone cards. the last nite of the cruise!!!

Enjoy your cruise, have fun and don't worry about any weight gain...w/all the activities they offer, u can easily work it off...

Later,

Randy