• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

1st cruise lots of questions

Rate this topic

Jdemo78

:huh:

We just booked our first cruise on RCCL and I am soooo excited. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to so please help me before I go crazy!

I am putting together the budget (I am an accountant, it is in my nature) and I just don't know what kind of charges one should expect. I know the booze cost extra and shore excursions, ok, but what about things like activites such as the ice-skating, rock climbing, putt putt golf, etc. What can I expect? Any and all answers would be much appreciated :-)

Any tips?

Hi Jdemo78, and welcome to CruiseCrazies!

Most of the things that you asked about are free (rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf). At least that is what I read. There are little things that are charged on-board. For example, sodas, specialty ice cream (like Ben & Jerry's), wine tasting, some computer classes, etc.

The charges for these extra things do vary from cruise line to cruise line, but they all have them. There are also the shops which are obviously not free. The usual cost that we have had up until now has been about $400-500. Anything less, and I feel like I saved money. I hope I helped some.

Howard

One word of advice for a first cruise...DO NOT USE THE TELEPHONES!!! On the norwegian Sun they charged over 7$ a minute, I had a $150 phone bill for calling home and there was not posting anywhere in the room about this. Other than that, I would have only spent about 300$ on board but it put it up a bit higher than that with the phone bill...Find out how your local phone card handles international calls and make your calls from inside the city, not on the port. You will get charged extra if you call from the port also.

Good luck.

Set up a free e-mail address if you need to stay in contact with home. Give the address to only those you need to have it. Internet is 50 cents per minute on Royal and much cheaper then a phone call.

Don't forget gifts for those at home and for yourself to remember your cruise. You'd be surprised how they add up.

Hi Jdemo78,

Don't forget the tips for the crew. The minimum you should count on is about $10 per day per person. If you feel service was outstanding you may or may not opt to give a little more for the waiter, assistant waiter and room steward.

I have never sailed RCCL so I'm not sure if they don't charge tips to your account automatically like they do on Carnival Cruise Lines.

In most cases your credit card will do in case something comes up that you absolutely have to do or have or eat.