• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruising Newbie!

Rate this topic

Jenn

Hey all! I just discovered this site last night and am very excited. My husband and I are going on our first cruise on March 13. We're doing a 7 day Western Caribeean on Holland America's newest ship, the Westerdam. I have found one review of the ship in my reading but because it is so new, there isn't much out there yet. It was just commissioned last April, I believe.

We are definitely using the packing list we found on this site, it's fantastic! Thank you!

Our ports of call are Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island), Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and Cozumel. Any good suggestions on what to see and what to stay away from would be appreciated. We've booked shore excursions through the cruise line already.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give this first time cruiser!

Jenn :cool:

Welcome to CruiseCrazies, Cruising Newbie! I can't help with your questions because we're taking our 1st Western Caribbean cruise in April. I'll look forward to your review when you return, so I'll get some good ideas from you. :grin:

Howard

Welcome Jenn!

I've sailed HAL a few years ago and like it alot. We have done the Western many times.

In Cozumel if you feel like a beach try Paradise Beach. Take a cab at the pier. Great little place with excellent food.

In Ocho Rios if you like water try the River Rafting. Very restful and lots of fun.

Half Moon Cay is a private beach. Great restful day on a lovely island.

No suggestions for Grand Cayman since we haven't left the ship for a few years when there.

Good luck on your first cruise!

Hi Jenn,

alt text

alt text

You can go to the review section and read a few reviews of other HAL ships. It might give you some insight on Holland. We have one posted from our New Years Zaandam cruise. Also, if you click the photo link in our signature you can see some photos of Half Moon Cay taken while parasailing. It is a very beautiful island!

I want to thank you all for your wonderful advice and welcome. It's nice to be here. I've looked at a few cruise reviews on the other HAL ships and it looks like we chose well. We're in our late 30's/early 40's so I hope we're not the "youngin's" on board, but oh well if we are! We're not big on partying into the wee hours so I think we'll fit right in.

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I look forward to great conversation about cruising!