• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

The legal driving age....

Rate this topic

In many states, teenagers can start driving as young as 16 years old.....Do you think the legal driving age should be raised? If so, how old should the drivers be in order to get behind the wheel for the first time?

I have 2 kids that both drove at 16. I don't think either is truly prepared for driving even tho they had a year's worth of practice. I'd say 17 is a better age.

In my opinion (just my opinion..) I feel the driving age should be increased...16 is not mature enough (most 16 y/o) they drive very recklessly..tend to try to impress fellow friends in the vehicle.. have no sense of speed control...I remember how I was (man that long ago...hmm.sigh) I was all for showing my friends a good time while in Mom and Dads car.. I know not all 16 yo are immature..and not meaning that they are..I just feel that at least another year certainly would not hurt...besides it can only help insurance wise..personally I feel the restricted should go up to at least 17..with the legal being 18..I work at a school and see how immature 16 year olds are..especially with their peers..anyways..this is JUST MY OPINION...

I think the minimum should be 16, but I think there should be more qualifications shown than just being 16 to be able to drive. Simply put, it's too easy to get a license. Driving school should be a must, not just an incentive for cheaper insurance. Plus licenses should not be "for life" as they are now. I don't know about the rest of you in your areas, but unless you have a higher class license, you only take tests to get it, then all you have to do is pay your money to renew it. You never have to show any type of proficiency later, other than the fact you've lived long enough to renew it again.

Even with my tractor-trailer license, it used to be every 3 years I write a test, then it was 4 years, now I just renewed for 5 years (55 out of 60 questions right by the way. Sounds good, but that was one away from failing LOL). Plus I get a medical done every 3 years that amounts to a cursory check-up, since my doctor already knows me LOL.

Of course, nothing will ever be done about cara licenses, since there's no political will to make things tougher for people to get or keep their licenses. That's a really large voter pool to mess with, so it won't get done.

It appears to be a little different in California than it is in Canada. You can get a restricted license at 16, if you have taken, and passed, drivers ed. You are then restricted for a full year from driving with passengers, unless one of the passengers has a full license. Your DL is good for four years. If you have a clean record during that four years, you can renew your license through the mail. If you don't have a clean record you have to take the written portion and show up at DMV. Every 12 years, maybe eight, you have to renew your license at the DMV, have an eye test and update your photo. Again if you have a clean record, no test. It works for me.

As for maturity of 16 year olds, if they are irresponsible at 16, I don't think a year, or even 2 or 3, will make that much difference.

There's a difference between being irresponsible and immature. Obviously, kids mature mentally at different speeds ( I'm still not sure if I'm mature yet.), but I had noticed a big difference with my sons from 16 to 18. Both of them did not drive until 18, and both became very good drivers quickly. But if I really think about it, they were even more mature at 20, so let's put the driving age there. :wink:

Howard

Where I grew up (NYC), drivers had to be 18 unless they took driver's ed, which would allow them to drive a year earlier. None of my friends in high school had cars, and it didn't seem to be a big deal. Then again, we had a fabulous public transportation system, but many parents didn't mind playing chauffer.

I would say 18 would be a good age. I do know that there are many responsible kids at 16, but the temptation to do unsafe things around friends is too great. Many kids stuff the car with friends, and I don't know how they can pay attention to the road.

Our daughter didn't drive until she was 18. She had to earn her own money and insurance money for her car. We think that gave her more of a sense of responsibility.

I think it should be at least 18 years of age. Our son is 17 years old, and has had his Learner's Permit for about 6 months now; we didn't even think about letting him get his Learner's before he was 17. Here in Florida, you have to have your Learner's Permit for one year, if you are under the age of 18. I take my son to and from school everyday, and what I see in the afternoon when I pick him up, scares me. The kids pulling out of the school parking lot all have tons of kids in the cars, the music is blaring, they are talking on cell phones and flying down the side streets. I think 16 years of age is simply too young.

I think that the parents should get more involved in how the kids think about driving and how dangerous a car really is. I have 4 boys who all started driving at 16. We live 25 miles from their school. I hated those first few weeks when they first drove themselves. Experience also makes a difference in how they handle certain situations. I don't know how much 1 year or 2 would make if they aren't taught those things. I would hate to think that they could be go to war and drive a tank before they could drive a car.