• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Traveler's Checks?

Rate this topic

Jenn

Should we take traveler's checks with us in addition to some cash for tips, etc? I know we will use a credit card for our shipboard account, but I didn't know how much we'll need actual cash on board the ship or in port? And when in port, will restaurants/stores/etc take traveler's checks? What's the best combination of to use with respect to $$?

Thanks!

We used to use traveler's checks all the time, but with the advent of ATM machines world-wide, found they we more of a pain in the butt. Also almost all resturants, merchants etc. will take your credit card.

Two years ago in Munich, I spent and entire morning trying to cash a couple hundred in travelers checks and had to go to three banks and then took a beating on the exchange rate and in fees which they charged. Later on the same trip, I walked up to an ATM in Prague and in a minute (or less) had the money I wanted at the correct exchange rate and no hassle.

Depending on the ship you are going on, you may not even need money for tips, more and more are charging tips to you onboard account.

The last few times we took traveler's checks (we get them free from AAA) we just ended up bringing them home with us.