• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

room location

Rate this topic

Hi all!! I am going on my first cruise in May. Royal Caribbean Exploror of the Seas. I have a couple of questions.....we are getting an oceanview room and there is one available in the bow of the ship looking out the front of the boat. I was wondering if that part of the ship was more turbulent with the waves or if there really was no difference where you are located at. Neither of us are prone to motion sickness but you never know.

Another question....we are trying to decide on our dinner time. 6:15 or 8:30pm. Are there any pros or cons to certain times? Will you still be able to go to the shows and events if you do the later time?

Thanks so much you guys!!

Karrie

Hi Karrie, and welcome to CruiseCrazies!! Congrats on your 1st (of many, I'm sure) cruise. We're going on the EOS in April, and I'm really looking forward to it.

As to your questions, the conventional answer is that having a cabin all the way forward, you will feel the movement of the ship more than if you had one in the center of the ship. we've had cabins in different parts of ships, and never really felt a difference. To be fair, we never had one as forward as you are describing. My wife and I are both prone to motion illness, but never got sick on a ship wherever we had our cabin.

As for dining, we always take the late seating. This gives us pleanty of time to get back from port and relax before dinner. Also, we find that the best time to walk around the ship is while the early seating passengers are eating, and the late seating passengers are napping. It's a great time to walk on deck and just watch the sea. Also, there are less children at the later seating so it is a much more serene atmosphere. It's not that we don't love kids, it's just that we like the clmer atmosphere.

Most cruises have two shows per night after each of the dinner seatings, so you will not miss anything.

Whichever you choose, you will thoroughly enjoy the cruise. Enjoy the anticipation. :grin:

Howard

Hi Karrie...Welcome!!

I have had very forward cabins twice, now, and both times when we had some rough seas, we really felt it. To be fair, many other people felt it where they were, too. I do think you have more motion in the forward section if you have rough seas. When the seas are calm, though, we had great sailing. I don't think that I would hesitate to go forward again, as the seas are usually calm. If you have a problem with motion sickness, you may want to book a room midships and lower in the ship.

I like the late seating, also. We don't have to miss time in ports and rush back to clean up for dinner with late seating. Also, you don't have to miss sail-away parties. You are able to have that before dinner drink which is nice. Also, as Howard says, there are fewer children at the late seating. I also, love children...I'm a grandma...but I like a quieter cruise for vacation.

karrieandmark,

alt text

alt text

Ditto to what Howard and Shari have posted. We had a forward cabin once and you do feel more movement. As far as late versus early seating, we take late for some of the same reasons they mentioned. We did early once and we always seemed rushed.

Hi Karrie,

My friend had cabin number 7204 on this exact ship last year and although she said she did feel "a bit" of movement she loved the cabin and wouldnt hesitate booking the same position cabin again due to the shape of the cabin being slightly angled at the front she said she felt as if she had a larger room - and great views!!

The ship being 138,000 tons and quite modern should also help reduce the chance of feeling much movement so I, personally, would get that cabin if I could.

I hope this helps :smiley:

Karen.

I prefer the inside cabins in the center of the ship to the balcony's. I think that the dancing sunlight in the room off the water would make me motion sick as I am prone to that. When I book my cabin, I make sure that I am in between two decks that are purely cabins decks. I know a lady was complaining on board that her room was directly under the aerobic center and she could hear music and thumping around above her head at 6 am. I also heard the center of the ship is the least amount of motion, which is what I have experienced also and say that I will always book this way. Good luck, and I am sure that if you want to change state rooms, they will allow you if there is still availability.