• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Spam Advertising on the Board....

Rate this topic

Lately, we have had a few instances of "new members" placing spam advertising on the board. It is apparent that these people became "members" simply to post their crap here....

When anyone signs onto CruiseCrazies, they agree to the term of Service. perhaps they forgot to read them. They clearly state:

................................................................................

"CRUISE CRAZIES "TERMS OF SERVICE"

SPAM ADVERTISING

Spamming to advertise a website or product and services is not permitted, no exceptions. Please feel free to click here if you are interested in advertising your website or product and services. Due to the advertising campaigns CruiseCrazies offers, please note that web addresses for any income-producing websites, such as travel agencies, cruise-wear or any other type or form of commercial, income-based websites, are not permitted. Allowing such websites to freely advertise their site is not fair for those who pay CruiseCrazies for this service."

................................................................................

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find these posts annoying, rude, thoughtless, etc; etc; much like the people who post them!

I would be surprised that they are "people" at all, but more likely spam bots. On yahoo groups, I'm a moderator on a large (2300 members give or take) list for the TV show The West Wing. Like all yahoo groups, they get attacked with spam. What we did is put all new members on moderation until such time as they show they aren't spam bots. Usually a "Hi I'm new here" message will suffice, since spam bots just send out spam without any type of personal message. We don't get any spam now, because the spam program recognizes that the group is set for moderation, so it doesn't attempt to send it out. All we see as moderators is sub and unsub messages.

I'm not sure if Jason can set up something within the board to require new members' posts to be approved before being posted, at least until he can see that this is in fact a real person. Like I said earlier, I don't want Jason to have to take on more workload with his already busy school and work schedule, but this can't be much more work than having to clean out the constant spamming we are getting now.

Hi, Dan!

I'm not an "original member" of the board, but I understand that there is a history to CruiseCrazies, that was still alluded to when I joined.

Apparently, a number of members of another cruise board became highly upset about the degree of censorship being exercised on that board. Jason founded this board so that all of those members could feel free to post what they wished, without the fear of "Gestapo censorship."

With this history, my guess is that Jason tries to exercise his right to delete a post with the utmost care.

Remember, every post has a "alt text" button so you can alert Jason to the spam. It works!

I understand completely, Jeff. But the kind of stupidity x was doing isn't in the same ball park here. Jason didn't start this board because he was mad that CC was censoring spam