• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Stern

Rate this topic

riteonglor

This is a cruise we have been waiting (our first) for a long time. In August we are going to Alaska on the Princess Sapphire. We have booked a suite on the Baja deck right at the very front of the ship, cabin B104. Everyone is telling us , big mistake, it will be so windy you will never be on the deck, too cold. Has anyone out there ever had a cabin at the very front of the ship? HELP Maybe its not to late to change it.

Rite On

It's actually the bow. The stern is the back of the ship :). I have heard that those cabins, while having larger than average balconies, are kind of windy at sea. But I think it will be a great place to be when cruising in the area, and while in port. Almost anywhere you are outside when the ship is moving you'll feel the wind. This isn't the Caribbean after all LOL. I would keep it, especially for the cabin itself, but also for the large balcony. You can see a pic of B107's balcony here http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/galle.../1945/37066.jpg

riteonglor,

Even though you may not be able to sit outside while the ship is sailing, there must be some advantage to watch the ship approach the shore. If I could afford it, I would have that cabin just for that purpose although I never seem to be able to wake up on time.

Hi, riteonglor, and alt text

Let's see if I can help with some basic ship terminology...

The bow is at the front and the stern the rear; to the left, facing forward, is the port and the right is the starboard; you don't go "upstairs," you go "up top;" likewise, you don't go "downstairs," you go "below." It's important that you learn this, before boarding the ship, because if a crew memeber hears you use the wrong terminology, they might throw you out of one of those little round window thingees..... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thank you Dan for the reply. I know, I know, I no more and sent the question and realized the front is the bow of the ship. I have now switched to cabin C755 due to the fact I recieved a e-mail from a lady that had been upgraded to this exact cabin and said it was a great room and deck but was unable to sit on the deck due to wind. The steward would come and lock the door that was between the balcony part which is in the side and the wrap around which faced the front. Then at port would come back and unlock them while you were in port So, if you were a deck person you could not use the deck while it was at sea. It is suposedly, a safety factor. Does not happen all the time but cannot be sure when it will happen. Our TA called directly to the cruise lines and they said, yes, this was true. I cannot take a chance on an Alaskan cruise that we cannot use the deck after all the money we paid for this room. My husband would go balistic, as he wants to sit on the deck and watch all the beauty of the land.

Rite On

Then you'll like this pic. See if you can find your balcony. We are booked in A746, which is the top deck in this picture, for next January. Our TA tried to warn us off of booking an aft cabin, saying there would be more movement. I said that I had read so much about how high demand was for aft balconies, that we had to find out for ourselves why. It's just a regular balcony cabin, but our first time with a balcony, so I think it will be great. The pool is right outside our door almost, and the food is up a flight of stairs.

alt text

• 2 months later...

No mistake. A Balcony on an Alaskan cruise is wonderful. You will be able to use it. You will be out on deck also. Layered clothes is always the recommendation. I have been to Alaska where the temperature in July on the water out of Seward must have been 23 Deg. F and on the same trip above the Artic Circle it was 70 Deg F. You will have different temperatures.

If you have a stern balcony it will be wonderful.