• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
GottaCruz

The Teri Schiavo Case

Rate this topic

One thing I do not understand. Since Teri's husband has had another family for years, a woman and children, I don't feel that her husband should be legally responsible for her anymore. In that case, I don't feel he should be involved in any decisions made on Teri's behalf. I feel that since Mr. Schiavo has a family of his own,and rightly so, all decisions regarding Teri should be those of her parents.

I also feel that it is barbaric to be depriving her of food and water. :cry:

How do you feel about this?

Well fortunately I'm not involved and don't have that dreadful decision to make.

Both my wife and I have a Living Trust. It states very specifically that if we are in a vegetative state, kept alive by life support, then pull the plug.

Mr Schiavo was Teri's husband at the time of her stroke/heart attack, and still is. I'm quite sure that he is her legal guardian, otherwise that would have been challenged and over turned, long ago.

I feel very sorry for her parents, but I don't understand why you would want to keep someone alive for 15 years in such a condition. She's not "alive", she just hasn't died.

I have thoughts about withholding her feeding. It does sound barbaric, letting someone starve to death. I have to trust the doctors and medical staff that are in attendance, that say she is in no pain or discomfort and she has no idea about what is happening.

There are no winners in this kind of situation, other than many people will at least take the time to consider and document what they want their relatives, loved to do if they end up in a similar situation.

I do believe that it is not a Federal Government issue and I'm disappointed that Congress got involved.

I also feel it is no place for Congress. This is a family issue. I also agree that since the husband has a new life with another girl, he should let go of his "responsibility" with Terri Schiavo. I feel he should turn over guardianship to her parents. I agree that it seems selfish to let this girl live in this condition for the past 15 years. JBond said it wonderful: she is alive but she's not living; she just hasn't died. BUT...from a "mother" standpoint, I can understand not wanting to let go of your child. I can understand how they feel that they see Terri responding to them and having faith that she will come out of it, and not wanting to "give up" on her.

My dad had a stroke in June and for 11 weeks was in a terrible state. He would look at us and smile, but that was about it. He was on a ventilator and had a feeding tube and we were told he'd probably always be on the ventilator and the feeding tube. He had a Living Will stating no life support, and the doctors came to us and told us they needed to "pull the plug". Well, we didn't have the chance to struggle with that decision, because 24 hours later, God took him. The doctors told us that in those last 48 hours, my dad felt no pain whatsoever, was not hungry, was not thirsty...I hope that is the case with Terri.

It's a tough situation. I can understand where people say she should be allowed to die, but like I said, as a parent, I can understand her parents wanting to hold on to her until the very last minute. Very, very sad situation.

This is an emotionally charged debate.

I believe it makes a perfect case to have a living will or living trust so that families don't have to get torn up over this extremely sensitive issue.

Even though a husband may be the legal guardian, it is sometimes difficult to determine motive without the legal document showing that a dying person had actually made a decision regarding his or her wishes if they were in that condition.

On a personal note, I remember when my 97 years old adoptive mother, had Alzheimers and was dying. My brother and I held on to her for as long as we could even though she had a feeding tube, one leg amputated and did not recognize us all the time or most of the time. It seemed to be difficult to let go of our mother. After all, we knew her for most of our lives. What were we going to do without her.

I too believe that since Mr. Schiavo has a new family, he should relinquish his rights to Teri Schiavo's parents.

I don't want to think about Teri Schiavo being starved to death.

I feel that to starve her to death is murder. She is not brain dead, and she is not in a coma. She seems aware of what is going on, and she relates very well to her parents. This is certainly not a great life, but who's to say that she doesn't want to live. We only have her husband's word for it.

I have been following this case for several years, since about 1998.

Unfortunately, Terri "died" almost fifteen years ago, after suffering a serious cardiac event. At that time, her brain was deprived of oxygen, destroying all of the brain cells connected to thinking, feeling, and all other conscience functions. She was left in a "persistent vegetative state." Certain "sounds" she utters, and movements she makes, are totally involuntary. Her state is the equivalent of a comatose state, and, other than the portion of the brain which controls involuntary activity (breathing/nutrition), her brain is technically "dead." She is totally unaware of anything around her and has not "communicated" in any way for over fifteen years ago, when she suffered the initial brian damage.

For many years, she was given various forms of therapy, in order to attempt to obtain any degree of improvement. All assistance was futile.

The Courts, all the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court, have found that Terri is, for all intents and purposes, "dead." With the exception of a few doctors, hired by the Schindler's, every doctor who has examined her has found that she is, in fact, in a persistent vegetative state, with absolutely no chance of improvement. This incudes a number of Court-Appointed doctors, who have nothing to gain/lose no matter what their findings.

Michael Schiavo is Terri's husband. The "rumor" that he stands to inherit "millions of dollars" from Terri's malpractice settlement, is a joke. Most of that money has been exhausted by medical bills and legal fees, and there is very little left. In fact, Michael Schiavo has spent a considerable amount of his personal funds, and will, just about, 'break even.' He is adamant that all he is doing is carrying out Terri's wishes.

Her parents, the Schindler's, are well-meaning and don't want to "let go." They feel that as long as Terri is breathing, there is hope for her recovery. I think we all wish this was so, but it just isn't, in this case. The sounds that they interpret as communication are merely involuntary muscle reaction. There is absolutely no cognitive function left in Terri's brain. I fully understand how they feel, as parents, and empathize with those feelings. But, I believe there is a time to accept the inevitable......

Another issue, and I'm not one to judge the value of a human being, is the cost involved. How many millions of dollars have been spent, by our government, on medical care, hospice care and legal costs, over Terri? All this at a time when millions of Americans can't get basic health care? How many lives lost could have been saved?

Terri is not sufffering.... She has no reaction to dicomfort, pain, starvation,etc; While she is literally "starving/dehydrating to death, her mind cannot 'feel' anything. She will pass quietly, and it will end.

Notwithstanding the religious and emotional issues, the decision to remove the feeding tube, and the person who has fought to uphold that decision, are painfully right.

I believe that “sad†is far too mild an adjective to use. Tragic; dreadful; heartbreaking; horrendous; perhaps these are a bit closer.

It is not in the order of things for a parent to have to witness the death of their child. Despite the pain, it is supposed to be the other way around. But, for a parent to have make the decision of life, or death, well…

Despite their best intentions, a parent cannot make that decision; the shrieks of the heart drown out the wisdom of the mind. However, in such situations, for the sake of the child, it is what your brain tells you that is best for that offspring.

The major consideration is what the person lying there would want, could they have the choice. Just put yourself in Terri Schiavo’s place. You have been in a “persistant vegetative state†for fifteen years. That means you have, absolutely, no level of consciousness, whatsoever. Most of your brain cells have been destroyed, due to an unrelated condition, with the exception of those that control movement. Your body contracts with uncontrollable convulsions and spasms cause sounds to come out of your mouth. Your eyes are open, but you do not see. You can’t hear, but that doesn’t matter, because you wouldn’t understand anything you heard. You can’t feel, anything!

Wouldn’t you want someone to “pull your plug?†I sure would!

Michael Schiavo is married to Terri, and professes that he has always loved her. Yes, he moved on with his life, only in the past few years, but that doesn’t diminish the love he has for her, his “first true love.†He stands to gain nothing from Terri’s death! There is very little money in her ‘estate.’ The ‘freedom’ he will gain could have been gained just as easily, long ago, through the process of a simple divorce. Our laws, here in Florida, are very liberal in that regard. He chose to stay married to Terri in order that he could remain her guardian and carry out her wishes.

Yes it’s very sad, and, tragic, and, dreadful, and heartbreaking…………………….

alt text

Dawn...I'm very sorry for what you went through with your dad. My step-father, who helped raise me, died a year and a half ago, and we went through something similar. It's something no one wants to go through.

Mebert...I'm sorry for what you went through with you mom. That must have been so hard.

My thoughts with Terri are based on some readings(one a document from a personal nurse) from nurses and doctors who say that Terri didn't have the proper care and therapies, and that she was denied all of this by her husband. I'm not sure he has her best in mind. I also think that she isn't totally brain dead, and that she may feel pain and is trying to communicate with people and just isn't able to talk. Maybe with the proper therapies she could have had a chance at some kind of life.

Just my thoughts after reading and hearing both sides of the story.

This is a very tragic situation! May God be with her and her loved ones!