• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Embarkation

Rate this topic

wannacruise

Can someone tell me about the embarkation process in Long Beach? I am traveling with someone who has a bad knee and can't do stairs very well. Are there any stairs or escalators to tackle? If so, is there an alternative (elevator)?

Also, what happens during the muster drill? Will my companion have to tackle the steps to get to the proper muster station?

When you get to the port, drop your friend off at the front with all your luggage, then you go park the car. There is an elevator in the parking lot, in case your friend wants to go with you to park.

If you already have your room, you don't need to stand in line in the parking lot. Just give your luggage to the porter, and you can walk over to the big dome.(check-in) There are many people there helping...ask someone if they can get you a wheelchair.

Once you get inside the dome, if you already have your documents and they are filled out, embarkation was super-fast. There is an escalator (sorry, don't know if there was an elevator) to get upstairs. Once you're upstairs, they give you your sail card and you just have to walk on to the ship...no stairs.

As you get on board, tell the girl standing at the entrance to the ship that you will need a wheelchair for muster. (you might want to tell them when you're checking in, while you're still in the dome) Or go to the purser's desk as soon as you get on board. There were plenty of people with wheelchairs on board when we launched from Long Beach.

Sue

Yes you can do that. You'll quite often see people walking around carrying their lifejacket 15 or 20 minutes prior to the drill. If your drill is held in lounges, people try to get there early to get a seat.

Like Dan said, you definitely could get to your muster station early...that's not a problem. Or if your friend wanted to use a wheelchair, I believe someone is assigned to take her/him to their muster station.

Sue