• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Freedom of the Seas

Rate this topic

Patch64

Hello everyone this is my first post on CruiseCrazies.

With the arrival of Freedom of the Seas next year and MSC Cruises announcement that it plans to build a 150,00 tonne vessel as well it seems that bigger the better when it comes to cruise ships. But has anyone given any thought as to how this might affect customer service.

I know that with an increase in size there will be an increase in staffing levels but I am worried that there will be a drop in the service levels. With FOTS carrying approxiamately 4370 passengers that's a hell of a lot of people to keep happy. True the boat is bigger but only by about 15%. Is it worth it?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hello everyone this is my first post on CruiseCrazies.

With the arrival of Freedom of the Seas next year and MSC Cruises announcement that it plans to build a 150,00 tonne vessel as well it seems that bigger the better when it comes to cruise ships. But has anyone given any thought as to how this might affect customer service.

I know that with an increase in size there will be an increase in staffing levels but I am worried that there will be a drop in the service levels. With FOTS carrying approxiamately 4370 passengers that's a hell of a lot of people to keep happy. True the boat is bigger but only by about 15%. Is it worth it?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Welcome aboard, Patch64. We're so glad that you found us. It's great to see you posting and we hope to get to know you.

We've done about 23 cruises, all on Carnival. We have found that the mid size ships like the Imagination and Fascination have some better layouts than the larger ships like the Destiny. For example, if you go to the Lido Deck for lunch and just want a salad, on the smaller ships you just go to the center of the room where the salad bar is. On the other hand, on the larger ships, you have to wait on line for salad , since it is in the same line as all the other entrees.

Hubby and I always have aching feet so , for us, the smaller ships work out better. Don't tell anyone, but it takes me all week to figure out how to get any place on the larger ships.

We have found the service to be great on the mid size and larger . From what I've heard, the key is to sail on the newer ships a little while after they've been broken in and the staff is a bit experienced.

Hope to see you posting often, Patch. :cool:

Welcome aboard, Patch64. We're so glad that you found us. It's great to see you posting and we hope to get to know you.

We've done about 23 cruises, all on Carnival. We have found that the mid size ships like the Imagination and Fascination have some better layouts than the larger ships like the Destiny. For example, if you go to the Lido Deck for lunch and just want a salad, on the smaller ships you just go to the center of the room where the salad bar is. On the other hand, on the larger ships, you have to wait on line for salad , since it is in the same line as all the other entrees.

Hubby and I always have aching feet so , for us, the smaller ships work out better. Don't tell anyone, but it takes me all week to figure out how to get any place on the larger ships.

We have found the service to be great on the mid size and larger . From what I've heard, the key is to sail on the newer ships a little while after they've been broken in and the staff is a bit experienced.

Hope to see you posting often, Patch. :cool:

Hi Patch64!

Welcome aboard! The largest ship that I have been on so far is the, "Infinity," at around 92,000 GRT. There isn't a problem with crowds or service on this ship, but, I am concerned that there would be on larger ships. I'm not sure that I would want to go on a ship with 4, 370 passengers.

It would have to be laid out really well so that the people flow well throughout the ship without crowding and lines. Also, I would be reading a lot of reviews first to see how the service and everything is going before I went on the ship. They would need to have a good ratio, (passenger/crew) before I would go on it. On the other hand, think of all the calories we could work off just by walking to the regular areas of the ship everyday. lol

Hi Patch64!

Welcome aboard! The largest ship that I have been on so far is the, "Infinity," at around 92,000 GRT. There isn't a problem with crowds or service on this ship, but, I am concerned that there would be on larger ships. I'm not sure that I would want to go on a ship with 4, 370 passengers.

It would have to be laid out really well so that the people flow well throughout the ship without crowding and lines. Also, I would be reading a lot of reviews first to see how the service and everything is going before I went on the ship. They would need to have a good ratio, (passenger/crew) before I would go on it. On the other hand, think of all the calories we could work off just by walking to the regular areas of the ship everyday. lol

Hi, Patch64!

alt textalt text

I'm a "traditionalist," and prefer 'smaller' ships...

When I speak of 'smaller' ships, I'm referring to those in the 50,000 grt, and under, category. I have sailed on a number of ships, from those in the 20,000 to 30,000 grt category up to the Triumph, Grand Princess, etc; in the 100,000 grt area. My favorite size is that of the Holiday, at 46,000 grt.

Admittedly, the mega-ships offer a lot more in the way of variety onboard activities, and such, but they tend to lose the personal touch.

On a smaller ship, you get to know most of your fellow passengers, if nothing else but by sight; a smile, a nod, a "hello,".... Likewise, you develop a relationship with many of the staff/crew. On the larger ships you tend to become a number.

I also find the service is better, and more personal, on the smaller ships.

Unfortunately, with the costs of fuel rising the way they have, it is not economically good business for the cruise lines to operate small ships, since the cost of operating a 100,000 grt vessel is not twic e that of a 50,000 grt ship. One of the major ways the lines have been able to keep the fares as low as they are is by building bigger ships!

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer....." :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: