• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Question about Miami

Rate this topic

Suzila

We'll be on a cruise in July leaving from Miami. We've never been to Miami and have some questions:

1. How do we get to the port? Taxi? Bus? How far is it from the airport to the port?

-----------------

2. We're going on Carnival Imagination. What's the earliest time we can get on the ship? Is it 1:00pm? And if that is the earliest and we arrive in Miami at 7:00am, what can we do for about 4 or 5 hours before getting on the ship...without having to rent a car.

---------------------

3. On Monday when we return to port, we plan on taking a flight out of Miami at about 330pm/4:00pm. If we take the city tour the cruise line offers, (it says recommended for people who have flights out after 2:30PM), will we really be able to make the flight? Will we have to worry about making it to the airport in time for our flight? Do we store the luggage at the bus terminal while we take the excursion or take it on the bus with us?

I posted some of these questions once before but didn't get any answers. If you've been to Miami and have any answers, I'd really appreciate your help. We're trying to figure out airline arrangements. Thanks, Sue

We'll be on a cruise in July leaving from Miami. We've never been to Miami and have some questions:

1. How do we get to the port? Taxi? Bus? How far is it from the airport to the port?

-----------------

2. We're going on Carnival Imagination. What's the earliest time we can get on the ship? Is it 1:00pm? And if that is the earliest and we arrive in Miami at 7:00am, what can we do for about 4 or 5 hours before getting on the ship...without having to rent a car.

---------------------

3. On Monday when we return to port, we plan on taking a flight out of Miami at about 330pm/4:00pm. If we take the city tour the cruise line offers, (it says recommended for people who have flights out after 2:30PM), will we really be able to make the flight? Will we have to worry about making it to the airport in time for our flight? Do we store the luggage at the bus terminal while we take the excursion or take it on the bus with us?

I posted some of these questions once before but didn't get any answers. If you've been to Miami and have any answers, I'd really appreciate your help. We're trying to figure out airline arrangements. Thanks, Sue

-----------------

---------------------

Hi, Sue! Sorry I 'missed' your earlier post....

I lived in Miami from 1978 through last April, when I moved to Ft. Lauderdale, so I hope I can be of assistance.

The airport isn't too far from the port, and the trip takes about 20 minutes. There are SuperShuttles that can get you to the port for a very nominal fare, and you don't need to take a taxi, unless you have 4, or more, people, since SuperShuttle chharges by the person.

While Carnival indicates that boarding is at 1:00 pm, they usually open the ship as soon as it's been cleaned up, usually about 11:30 am to noon... However, you can't count on this, always. If your plane arrives at MIA at 7:00 am, you probably won't get off the plane, get the luggage and be ready to leave until 8:30, or so. Figure 45 minutes to an hour to find the shuttle and drive to the port, so by thenit's about 10:00 am. By the time you get through registration, etc; it'll be close to 11:00 am, and boarding time...

I'm not so sure I'd take the 'city tour.' Most of what you'd want to see/do in Miami will take a lot longer than a few hours. Just driving throught the city, looking at the 'sights,' isn't a big deal!

I'd suggest you grab a taxi to Bayside Marketplace, a really nice complex, about 10 minutes from then port. It has restaurants (including Hard Rock Cafe), live entertainment and lots of shops. Locals go there on the week-ends to just hang out and have fun! From there, it's a short taxi ride to MIA.

Another nice side trip would be to South Beach, also a short ride from the port by taxi. Sit in a sidewalk cafe on Ocean Drive and people watch! You never know who, or what, you might see!

Hope you have a great time!

I lived in Miami from 1978 through last April, when I moved to Ft. Lauderdale, so I hope I can be of assistance.

The airport isn't too far from the port, and the trip takes about 20 minutes. There are SuperShuttles that can get you to the port for a very nominal fare, and you don't need to take a taxi, unless you have 4, or more, people, since SuperShuttle chharges by the person.

While Carnival indicates that boarding is at 1:00 pm, they usually open the ship as soon as it's been cleaned up, usually about 11:30 am to noon... However, you can't count on this, always. If your plane arrives at MIA at 7:00 am, you probably won't get off the plane, get the luggage and be ready to leave until 8:30, or so. Figure 45 minutes to an hour to find the shuttle and drive to the port, so by thenit's about 10:00 am. By the time you get through registration, etc; it'll be close to 11:00 am, and boarding time...

I'm not so sure I'd take the 'city tour.' Most of what you'd want to see/do in Miami will take a lot longer than a few hours. Just driving throught the city, looking at the 'sights,' isn't a big deal!

I'd suggest you grab a taxi to Bayside Marketplace, a really nice complex, about 10 minutes from then port. It has restaurants (including Hard Rock Cafe), live entertainment and lots of shops. Locals go there on the week-ends to just hang out and have fun! From there, it's a short taxi ride to MIA.

Another nice side trip would be to South Beach, also a short ride from the port by taxi. Sit in a sidewalk cafe on Ocean Drive and people watch! You never know who, or what, you might see!

Jeff! Thank you soooo much for your quick reply! Very helpful information.

I'm a bit of a worry wart, and wouldn't want to miss our flight because of a tour or excursion the day we go home. So your suggestions are great.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Sue<]

I'm a bit of a worry wart, and wouldn't want to miss our flight because of a tour or excursion the day we go home. So your suggestions are great.

Sue<]

Sue<]