• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Norwegian Dawn unexpectedly struck by freak wave

Rate this topic

Jason

Norwegian Dawn struck by "freak" wave, 4 passengers hurt, 62 cabins flooded

Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 5:15pm EST -- Friday night on her return to New York, Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a 70 foot freak wave that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

alt text

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this incident.

Norwegian Dawn has diverted to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct repairs. Passengers whose cabins were flooded are being flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time, the company estimates that the ship will arrive around noon on Monday. As things stand now, embarkation will commence at 3 p.m. on Monday. However, the embarkation time will be finalized once the ship has a definitive arrival time so passengers and travel agents should monitor the NCL Web site or call 1-800-625-5672 for updates.

NCL is working to contact all travel agents with guests sailing on the April 17 cruise to inform them of the details.

Norwegian Cruise Line is pleased to report that Norwegian Dawn left Charleston, South Carolina at 12:30 a.m. last night after completing successful repairs to the two windows that were broken on Saturday morning. U.S. Coast Guard inspected the repairs and the vessel is now on its way to New York.

The company estimates that the ship will arrive at noon on Monday and embarkation will commence at 3 p.m.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 5:15pm EST -- Friday night on her return to New York, Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a 70 foot freak wave that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

alt text

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this incident.

Norwegian Dawn has diverted to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct repairs. Passengers whose cabins were flooded are being flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time, the company estimates that the ship will arrive around noon on Monday. As things stand now, embarkation will commence at 3 p.m. on Monday. However, the embarkation time will be finalized once the ship has a definitive arrival time so passengers and travel agents should monitor the NCL Web site or call 1-800-625-5672 for updates.

NCL is working to contact all travel agents with guests sailing on the April 17 cruise to inform them of the details.

Norwegian Cruise Line is pleased to report that Norwegian Dawn left Charleston, South Carolina at 12:30 a.m. last night after completing successful repairs to the two windows that were broken on Saturday morning. U.S. Coast Guard inspected the repairs and the vessel is now on its way to New York.

The company estimates that the ship will arrive at noon on Monday and embarkation will commence at 3 p.m.

alt text

Here's a link to the NY Daily News article about it. http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/300826p-257523c.html

How frightening that must have been. I wonder if they had people put on their vests and go to their muster stations. I am always amazed what a joke some people make of muster. They hold it so people will know what to do in an emergency. It's the one serious part of a cruise and it annoys me that there are people who don't take it seriously.

Ahhh...got that vent off my chest. It's too early Monday morning...sorry.

Here's a quote from the article: "All passengers would be given a partial refund, a credit for a future trip and access to the ship's open bar".

I guess they needed access to the open bar after a trip like that! LOL!

I hope no one from this message board was on it.

Sue

Here's a link to the NY Daily News article about it. http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/300826p-257523c.html

How frightening that must have been. I wonder if they had people put on their vests and go to their muster stations. I am always amazed what a joke some people make of muster. They hold it so people will know what to do in an emergency. It's the one serious part of a cruise and it annoys me that there are people who don't take it seriously.

Here's a quote from the article: "All passengers would be given a partial refund, a credit for a future trip and access to the ship's open bar".

Sue

Sue

I heard one guy from the cruise say on the news that they were playing the theme from the Titanic. I doubt that that helped to calm anyone down. Yikes!!

They did have their lifejackets on. I heard that food flew off the buffet, and liquor bottles fell and broke all over the ship. I would have been terrified. I wonder how many were on their first cruise, and if they will ever cruise again.

Very scary!!!! I'm glad that I wasn't on that cruise! I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt.