• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Out & About.......

Rate this topic

alt text

Ever since our board was attacked by gay-bashing ‘Trolls,’ yesterday, I have gotten a number of e-mails, and PM’s, from friends I have made here at CruiseCrazies. I am posting this thread for them, and any of you who were concerned, but weren’t sure how to approach the subject.

It’s no secret that I’m gay, mainly because I don’t feel any need to keep it a secret. In fact, my “Avatar†is a dead-giveaway!

I live in the most gay-friendly are of the U.S., only a few miles from Wilton Manors, a predominantly gay community, up to and including its town council. People at work accept me for who I am, and not what I am. I shop in gay oriented stores; eat in gay friendly restaurants; get my hair cut by a gay barber; and so forth.

As far as the Trolls, I couldn’t care less! I learned, a long time ago, that any prejudice, whatever, is founded in ignorance! Whether based on race, national origin, color, sexual orientation, or any other physical characteristic, intolerance is not a disgrace to the person it is aimed at, but, rather, it emphasizes the idiocy of the bigot.

The proof of all of this is the friends I have made, right here at CruiseCrazies, who seem to enjoy my ‘offbeat’ humor and the knowledge I have been fortunate enough to have gained by being lucky to have been on quite a few cruises.

So, to my friends, “Thank you!†To the others, “No hard feelings, Jerk!â€Â

alt text

alt text

Ever since our board was attacked by gay-bashing ‘Trolls,’ yesterday, I have gotten a number of e-mails, and PM’s, from friends I have made here at CruiseCrazies. I am posting this thread for them, and any of you who were concerned, but weren’t sure how to approach the subject.

It’s no secret that I’m gay, mainly because I don’t feel any need to keep it a secret. In fact, my “Avatar†is a dead-giveaway!

I live in the most gay-friendly are of the U.S., only a few miles from Wilton Manors, a predominantly gay community, up to and including its town council. People at work accept me for who I am, and not what I am. I shop in gay oriented stores; eat in gay friendly restaurants; get my hair cut by a gay barber; and so forth.

As far as the Trolls, I couldn’t care less! I learned, a long time ago, that any prejudice, whatever, is founded in ignorance! Whether based on race, national origin, color, sexual orientation, or any other physical characteristic, intolerance is not a disgrace to the person it is aimed at, but, rather, it emphasizes the idiocy of the bigot.

The proof of all of this is the friends I have made, right here at CruiseCrazies, who seem to enjoy my ‘offbeat’ humor and the knowledge I have been fortunate enough to have gained by being lucky to have been on quite a few cruises.

alt text

alt text

alt text

I'd just like to say something about this. Maybe it's not my place, because I'm so new to this message board, but seeing the messages from the 'trolls' bothered me. I noticed that no one else is responding to Jeff's post, so maybe you've had this happen before, but I wasn't here for it and I have something to say about it.

Our neighbors are gay. My husband and I enjoy spending time with this couple. They are nice, interesting, and fun to be with. I'm assuming they feel the same way about us, because we have dinners together, visit each other's homes and sit and talk, etc., etc., etc. We have a lot in common, and enjoy being with them. (And beside all this, they just had a pool built in their back yard and we intend to spend a lot of time with them this summer! LOL!)

Other neighbors steer clear of them. But, that's their problem. Years ago we had a Black couple move in and another family (they happened to be from the south) promptly put their house up for sale. Well, 20 something years later, the Black family is still here and have proved to be much better neighbors than the couple from the south. Like Jeff said in his post...what does race, color, sexual orientation, etc. have to do with whether you are a good person or not?

And while I'm spouting out, what does sexual orientation have to do with cruising? Some of the posts were on the 'cruise discussion', not 'general discussion'.

I'm really enjoying being a member of this group...I love cruising and am learning a lot from those of you who are more experienced at it than I am. I love sharing the experiences with all of you, and I hope when something like this happens where a nasty post appears against one of the members, we can just delete it and move on.

That's it...I'm finished, and I'm sure you're all happy to hear that! LOL! Just my two cents worth.

Sue

The trolls that appeared and thankfully disappeared quickly just point out that there is still idiots in this world. Whether your gay or straight, black white or yellow, man or woman, etc., who really cares. There are many people on this and other boards that you never know anything about them except their screen name, and you get to like them anyway. If your feelings change just because you find out something personal about them, then the problem lies in you.

Jeff, keep up the good work. I think that your quite appreciated on this board. You certainly have the right attitude about it. There is hate out there that no matter what we say or do, will never change. We love you at least in the platonic sense). :grin:

Howard

We learned along time ago what trolls want is attention and responses. So we give them neither! We ignore them like they don't exist. No one on this board, or any other board needs to defend themselves to these idiots. No one twists our arms to be a member of any board. If we are members then we must like the board and what it stands for and it's fellow members. CruiseCrazies is such a board.

Again, everyone, thank you for the support.

Keith, I wasn't "defending myself;" I don't think I have anything to defend... I was letting you know that I was OK with the whole deal. It's happened before; it will happen again. It's like the line from 'Chicago:' "Oh, I got no wife; And, oh, I love my life; And all that jazz!"

Howard, what can I say, 'old buddy?'

And, Sue, It is your place to say whatever is on your mind. "New" member, "old member," what's the difference. You have brought a breath of fresh air to this board, as so many "new" members have, and that's why we welcome people such as you, with open arms and open hearts! That goes for all our new members, and those of you "lurkers," out there, who have hesitated joining us. C'mon in; the water's fine!

As Keith and Rita said, the best we can do is ignore such ignorant people who have nothing better to do than to be trolls. I'm only sorry that I wasn't sitting in front of my computer at the time the posts appeared or they would have been deleted even sooner.

Suzila, I just want you to know that the only reason that I didn't respond to Jeff's post was because I called him on the phone as soon as I saw what had been posted. As Jeff said, new member, old member , it just makes no difference here. Everyone is treated equally and all have the right to post their feelings . We 're so glad to have you as an active member.

Jason is working very hard at dealing with these issues-it's not that the troll or trolls have disappeared- Jason has worked out a way to prevent them from posting for now. Unfortunately, it may happen again and as Keith and Rita said, the best thing to do is to ignore them and maybe they'll get a life.

Jeff knows, I'm sure, that we love him and greatly appreciate him for the amazing person that he is. Right, Jeff? :kiss:

Jeff...I must have missed those posts. I haven't checked in for awhile. I don't know what was said, but I know just from talking to you on the boards for two years now, that you're a wonderful person, and I'm glad that you're my friend. Just ignore those characters.

Love,

Shari