• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

jtutak, Nile River Cruise

Rate this topic

Mebert

Hi jtutak,

I noticed that you had sailed the Nile Romance Nile River about 15 years ago. Cruising the Nile is something that's not written about very often.

Do you remember any of it?

Can you tell us something about it?

It's one of my dreams to cruise the Nile and also the Yangtsee River in China.

You would help to put some solidity to my dreams.

Mebert,

I know of a few ships doing 3 & 4 night Nile cruises from Luxor to Aswan and back, I dont know if you guys know of a company called Abercrombie & Kent, or agents who book through them, but they have details of some of the small ships we use for our UK passengers & you can download their brochures and see the ships & the itineraries on their web site if thats any help?

I would defo love to do a Yangtze river cruise in China and go and see the Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an but I think we will only get to do this when my son is quite a bit older (gives me a good excuse to get the Mexico Riviera & Alaska cruises done first!! haha)

Hi jtutak and KarenUK,

Thank you for your time and trouble. The Egyptian itinerary looks very interesting. How did you find the crew on the Nile River cruise? How was the food? Did they have anything for vegetarians? Were the staterooms large enough for you and did you have a private bath?

Sorry for all of the questions but this is most intriguing.

KarenUK, thanks for your suggesting Abercrombie and Kent.

I have longed to see the Pyramids and the Valley of the Kings for years. This Egyptian quest may be about 3 to 5 years from now unless there is a small economic miracle to push it forward. Of course, a major portion of it must be crusing the Nile.

The next step is to check with the State Department to check on security issues in Egypt.

Hi Mebert,

There are defo some great places of interest to go see in Egypt and I agree, of course, that a cruise must be the very best way of seeing them!!

With Egypt having quite a few Muslems, as well as other religions, I would think that Vegetarian food is widely available and I am sure the Nile cruises would easily cater for Veretarians - especially if a request was sent through well in advance of boarding.

We keep hearing about the security "issues" in certain areas of Egypt at the moment and there are a lot of Brits who are now travelling to the Red Sea area, Hurghada and Luxor and it is very worrying when these incidents happen, but there has been news recently of one of our airlines adding more flights to these areas so, hopefully, the increase in the tourism revenue over time should help these people see how important a stable and peaceful environment is?? :undecided:

Mebert,

The crew on the Nile River cruise was great very helpful. We loved the food but don't forget lamb is a large part of the Egyptian diet, and not being a vegetarian I cannot help you there. We had a private bath and cabin size was equal to normal cruise ships. Google "Nile river cruise" and a large amount of info comes up including Abercrombie & Kent that karenUK posted about. A little bit of advice, In my opinion I think you should book a complete tour with a first class company, bribes are a way life in Egypt and the better tours know how do this discretely. I still remember being met at the airport by our guide and zipping thru customs & immigration while others waited in long lines.

alt textalt textalt text

jtutak,

What an outstanding reply. Your answers are exactly what I was looking for and your photos are the icing on the cake.

In 1990 there probably were not any security concerns but post 9/11 have things changed at all?

This gives me something else to plan and look forward to.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.