• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Joanandjoe

Awful weather in NYC

Rate this topic

Today we are having one of the worst non-snow or ice winter days in memory. The temperature is over 60, winds over 50, and there's heavy rain. I commute from Bergen County to Westchester. The Tappan Zee Bridge was closed due to a truck accident, and so was the upper deck of the George Washington Bridge. As a result of the overturned trucks, all trucks were banned from all area bridges.

My commute took double the normal time, and I was relatively lucky! Trees are down all over the place--lanes were closed at four points during my commute. The power is out at my house, so Joan has gone to a place (her health club) which has power. Just an awful, dangerous day outside.

Is anyone else in the NE also experiencing this terrible weather?

I had to be out for an early morning meeting and the wind and rain is not making it very comfortable to get around. Wearing raingear makes me hot all the time.

I'm so glad to be inside now.

As Gilda Radner used to say, "It's always something...."

No matter where you live, weather will get ya'! Hurricanes, here, in Florida; Tornadoes in the mid-west; California with wind-driven fires, mudslides, droughts, floods; Areas in Colorado, Wyoming, etc; with blizzards and avalanches....

Yes, it's always something.....

It must be a northeast thing, winds here were gusting to 60mph, but we had freezing rain that turned to rain that turned back to snow and tomorrow its should be sunny and warm(35degrees :grin: ). Some really wild stuff, glad my commute is only 11 minutes in the winter and 7 minutes in the summer :grin: :grin:

Glad your power is back on, Joe and Joan. We had a storm like that this summer. They think our area actually had a small tornado. Our power was out for around 18 hours, but a lot of people had power outages for two to three weeks. We lost a lot of beautiful trees in our area, too. Glad you are OK.

We had an ice storm Saturday night/Sunday morning, and the wind storm yesterday. Parts of Connecticut lost power during the ice storm, and still didn't have it back last night. (I haven't heard anything since then, so I don't know if they have it back.) Meanwhile, today it was in the mid-50s and sunny. Weird weather indeed!