• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mutiny on the QM2?

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joanandjoe,

Forgive me. I forgot that this cruise originated in New York. That would be a problem for those who were already on the ship.

But, I agree with NYCruiser. I would not have participated in a demonstration requesting all of my money back. I would expect something back and I would also realize that I used the services on the ship and that also should count for something from my part.

I would absolutely be frustrated by not making the original ports of call but I wouldn't expect a free ride. Those passengers are lucky and it says a great deal, positively, for the cruise line.

Too bad this coverage didn't make it out of South Florida.

We would have discounted allegations that Cunard "lied."

We would have discounted allegatations that Cunard offered nothing to the pax.

We would have discounted reports that pax did not know that missing ports was a possibility.

And Cunard would have avoided the degree of bad press it received during this childish incident.

But what is done is done. The cruise line was bullied into giving passengers something they didn't deserve, and as Anne Campell stated, this sets a bad precedent.

As I said in my initial post in this thread, I feel for Commodore Warwick. He had far better things to do -- namely, navigating a liner in difficult conditions while keeping the passengers safe -- than to put up with the behaviors exhibited by some of them.

I agree. Sensationalism sells. I wasn't surprised in seeing that jackatsea was bombarded by phone calls from the mainlands -- and then what he related was not reported accurately. Publishers would probably not want to print, "Ship loses pod. Passenger relaxes in pub.: :smiley:

As Homer Simpson would say, "Duh! Uh!" We gave up on broadcast journalism a long time ago, when Joan's aunt and uncle were the victims of a sensational crime. The journalists, especially the TV one, wouldn't leave the family alone. They even came to the funeral of Joan's Aunt Nettie. It still makes us shiver to thin about it.

If there's one consolation to your loss, Lisa, at least you MIL died peacefully. Our condolences.

Getting back to the QM2, if Cunard had handled the situation well, there would have been no need for sensational journalism. From what we've seen, bad handling by the ship was followed by outrageous behavior from a lot of PAX. Jack was able to ride through everything with a British "stiff upper lip", but others weren't. The final compensation offered by the line was ludicrously high.