• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Joanandjoe

Malta

Rate this topic

We're considering a trip to Malta, an island group with great beaches and great history. (John the Baptist was there, as were the Phoenicians, Greeks, Moors, Arabs, Romans, Knights of St. John (AKA Knights of Malta), Italians, British, French, etc.) Has anyone been there, either from a cruise ship or a "land trip"? We'd appreciate suggestions on where to go and what to do.

My Hubby went on holiday a few years back so probably changed a bit, theres lots of history & the best beach is actually a short ferry trip away on the much smaller island Gozo - which is also quieter & less commercialized than Malta itself...

Malta does get very busy with the Italian youth during the summer months so if you stay away from the main resorts that would be best otherwise there is defo a "yob" feel to a couple of the areas during Italian holiday weeks (just like Ibiza is with the young british packs I suppose or Florida "Spring break wahoo time")

Thanks, Karen. When I wrote the post yesterday, I had hoped to go in March, before the crowds. After checking with my boss, the earliest I can get away is mid-May, which may be too late to avoid the crowds.

Before anyone questions me on the point, of course Malta is an independent country now, and a member of the British Commonwealth. During WWII it incurred heavy bombing, since it is less than 100 miles from Sicily. It never surrendered, and earned the name "island fortress".

Oh Joe Joe Joe.. that sounds awesome.... I await your discoveries from a historic perspective.. what can I say waht an adventure that would be.

I dont think Mid May should be too bad - our schools finish last Friday in May so hopefully will still be a little quiet. The weather should be lovely in May & I am sure you will have a really nice time.

Come on Karen, what's with this Liverpool crest. Are they the team that lost to Man U this past weekend?

As for Malta, never been there, but would love to visit. As a kid I grew up with the Island Fortress theme and the "Malta Airforce" that consisted of three Gloster Gladiators, old biplanes that fought off the German/Italian attacks and were named Faith, Hope and Charity.

Yes JBond the very same - you know the European Football champions!!!! although a true fan doesn't care what happened last game - even if won or lost - the amount of times LFC have trounced Man U is sufficient for me to be happy & their final league position at the end of the season is the most import thing - Oh & did I mention they are European Champions?

We almost decided on malta for our short break in April but as DH had already been we decided to go to Paphos as neither of us had been to Cyprus..

Have a great time, Karen. Can't say that Cyprus is a place we've ever considered. It's hard to top the Med. as a pleasant place to visit.

James, be easy on Karen. From this side of the pond, Man U gets all of the publicity, so it's refreshing to see another British team as European champions. Isn't Liverpool entitled to have something other than the Beatles?

Yes if we all liked the same thing we may as well be sheep (just like ManU fans haha only kiddin :grin: )

We hadn't considered Cyprus at first, until one of the girls who used to work with me gave me some info from when she lived out there for a few months, so thought it worth a look for a change?? we want to see the Tomb of the kings & the mosaics, whilst we are there but it was mainly just the warm termperature, shortish flight & the fact neither of us had been there that decidied it as we have both been to sevaral Spanish destinations & also to the French Riviera. Anyway we have a 4 day break in Dubai to look forward to before that (we fly out 3 weeks tomorrow - yippeee) so will start looking forward to Cyprus after that... and then will need to make a decision on where to cruise next year!! :grin: