• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
jbond

40 years ago

Rate this topic

For those of you old enough remember Vietnam, do you remember the bracelets for the MIA's? I still have one for Captain Lawrence Helber USMC. He went missing on January 26th 1966, forty years ago in an F-4B .

http://www.virtualwall.org/pics/phambase.gif

Lord, guard and guide the men who fly

Through the great spaces in the sky.

Be with them always in the air,

In darkening storms or sunlight fair.

O hear us when we lift our prayer

For those in peril in the air.

Remember him, and all the others in your prayers tomorrow.

All of my prayers and respect go to the MIA's and the soldiers who sacrificed their lives during the Viet Nam War. They did not get the respect they deserved for serving the United States.

I was a teenager in the turbulent '60s. My brother was in Nam for awhile and my BIL. Two brothers from my neighborhood and guys that we sometimes hung out with died in Vietnam. Very handsome young men, too! God rest their souls. My prayers are with all.

My hubby and I lost many friends in Vietnam. Pretty sad for us to visit the Wall in Washington.

My hubby served at that time, but he was stationed in Germany. But our best friend was in the Marines in Vietnam and the scout...he went out first, before others, and when he (rarely) speaks about his experiences, it's always with anger. I always dread hearing him talk about it.

My wife wore one for years, from the time she was a teenager.

I spent three cruises on ships off the coast, sometime with a helo on deck to quickly respond to try and rescue downed flyers over North Vietnam.

I then volunteered to go in country as an advisor to the Vietnamese Navy. I traveled the country for a year from the DMZ to An Thoi to locations were their sailors were in training. Many bundled up their families and left on vessels as refugees when the country fell.

One day we will finally learn to love one another - and the World will actually be at Peace - I just hope I see it in my lifetime.

Being Canadian we weren't really affected - but I did have two friends sign up across the line so they could go - one came back but he was so different - very haunted by it all. The other was just never "accounted for".

My heart goes out to all the families that stay behind just never knowing for sure when the call will come or that knock on the door.