• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Beating the NCB's!

Rate this topic

Mebert

I am finally joining the rest of you in doing something to wipe out the No Cruise Blues (NCB). I have a cruise coming up shortly, in April. I'm so afraid that I'll be stuck out there with nothing to look forward to that I've booked the Celebrity Mercury out of Seattle in June. After the April cruise I won't have to panic and go into PCS (Post Cruise Syndrome).

The itinerary is as follows:

Seattle, Washington, Juneau, Alaska, Skagway, Alaska, Hubbard Glacier (Cruising), Ketchikan, Alaska, Prince Rupert, B.C., Inside Passage (Cruising), Seattle, Washington

If you have any information regarding the ship or the itinerary please fire away.

I also realize that the Mercury was involved in that Cuomo report so I'm really going to implement the rules I mentioned on that thread.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Alaska cruise in 1998 was the one way type, Vancouver to Seward, on the old HAL Noordam, so it has some relevance but isn't "on all fours" with your itinerary. For what it's worth:

1) Seattle is a lovely city, well worth a few extra days before (preferable) or after the cruise.

2) Juneau. We had awful weather, so stuff like the helicopter to the Mendenhal glacier and the tram ride were cancelled, and we went to see a museum and other indoors stuff. We also went on a wildlife bus and boat trip (see our Ketchikan comment). If you feel wealthy, go for the glacier; otherwise take the tram or a ship's excursion.

3) Skagway. Haven't been there. We saw a PBS special on the White Pass railroad, which sounded wonderful.

4) Hubbard Glacier. Spectacular, even if Celebrity doesn't go to Glacier National Park. Bring binocs and warm clothing.

5) Ketchikan. A good place to just walk around and see the wooden town and the salmon run. In one port, at least, take an excursion to see wildlife. Despite the rain, we took one in Juneau, and another one in Valdez. (Damage from the Exxon Valdez oil spill was still evident.) The eagles on every telephone pole for about 5 miles on our bus ride were unforgrttable, and we still think of them evey time we see an eagle in our local zoo.

6) Inner passage. Also specatular, but much of the cruising is at night.

7) Prince Rupert. Haven't been there, but I once worked for an accounting firm that had an office there. Supposed to be very rugged and lovely, and a good place to take a fishing trip. Unfortunately, the stop is mainly to satisfy U.S. rules about visiting foreign ports, and you won't have enough time to do much.

Enjoy. We're city types, not outdoors people; but Alaska is amazingly beautiful in the summer. (Wouldn't want to be there in the winter.)