• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dropping air add-on from the package.

Rate this topic

SueC

We're booked on NCL Seattle to Alaska on Sept. 2, '06, I haven't made the final payment, and am seriously considering dropping the air supplement from what I booked and booking that on my own, going into Seattle a day early. Will there be a penalty if I do this before I make the final payment?

Even this early out there's up to a $200 p/p difference in what NCL has added and what I can get it for. Also, the insurance is $30 less by not booking the air supplement...does this make sense?

We usually book our own air because of the price difference and we can also get earlier choice of seats. I would not expect that there would be a penalty if you haven't made a final payment.

One thing to check on would be the cost of transfers. Usually transfers are included in add on air. If you book your own air, you're by yourself.

Sue,

Make perfect sense to me. We rarely use cruise line air except last summer to Amsterdam returning from Vienna for our river cruise. That was worth the $$.

On normal cruises we always do our own air for the savings and the convience.

JBond is correct though, check out the transfers from the airport to the cruise terminal in Seattle. Should not be a big item, but you do not want any surprises!

As the others said, I do not think there will be any penalty for eliminating the cruise line air.

Thanks guys...I think this is the way we're going to go. I'd expected to have to pay for transfers, but a cab even with 4 has to be more comfortable, and faster than the buses they usually herd you on. :smiley:

Thanks again..now to call NCL and get the deed done.

Right on, Sue. We try to take cabs when we can rather than the buses. When the bus arrives the whole load of passengers hit the terminal at once and it just slows things down. On some trips we had to stand around to wait for our luggage to be off loaded, get it together and then find a porter at the same time everyone else was trying to do the same thing.

On our Infinity cruise out of San Diego, my two brother-in-laws used the bus while my wife and I grabbed a cab. Took them longer, cost them more, and they had to deal with the hassles while we breezed aboard.

However, I know the airport in Seattle is quite a ways out beyond Boeing, and the ship must dock in Pudget Sound which is down by First Ave., so you are looking at quite a distance. You might want to look into some of the van services usually available at airports.

Sue,

I was stationed in the Seattle area as a young 19 year old sailor and the hotels I stayed at I'm sure have been condemed by now. Been back a few times on business, but my clients aways picked a motel near their offices. All I really remember was the long ride in from the airport.

I would think you would want a downtown type hotel. Seattle is a great town for walking (except for the hills) and the area around the Sound is very nice. Last time we were there my wife and I spent a great evening strolling gallaries and shops in that area.