• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
rogue

Royal Caribbean Orders Largest Cruise Ship

Rate this topic

Royal Caribbean International has ordered the world's largest and most expensive cruise ship, Europe's largest shipbuilder, Aker Yards ASA, said Monday.

The contract price for the new ship, designated Project Genesis, is 900 million euros - or about $1 billion - making it "the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding," the Oslo-based group said in a statement.

The company said the 1,181-foot ship will have a capacity of 5,400 passengers. Its size will exceed by 43 percent Aker's "Freedom of the Seas," which is to be the world's largest cruise ship when it is delivered to Royal Caribbean in April.

The newly ordered ship is to be delivered in late 2009 after its construction at one of the group's Finnish yards, Aker Yards said.

Why not just take a smaller Caribbean island, put pontoons and motors on it and sail it through the other islands....

:grin: :grin: :grin:

That will probably be pretty close. Can you imagine the lines for tendering on that ship? I'm sure they will have to tender in quite a few ports.

I read on another board that the dining room is something like 12 stories high. Nope...I don't even plan to see the interior of this monster. IMO in this case, bigger ISN'T better. On the other hand, if they drop anchor between two close ports, they can hit 2 at the same time...get off the ship and turn right, return for lunch, get off again and turn left...go to a different port. :shocked:

Imagine having a cabin eithere toward the bow or the stern, and having to get to the opposite end. I could see that nobody on this ship will gain weight.