• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Size of Ships

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've made our thoughts pretty clear: we like small ships, and wish the cruise lines would build new ones. That's apparently not in the cards. Obviously our answer is "YES-way, way, way too big". Heck, we think the HAL Vista class is too big; but once the Noordam is delivered, every ship on order will be bigger than the 1,848 to 1,918 PAX Vistas, mostly much bigger.

I think the "perfect" size for a ship is in the 45,000-50,000 grt range (Carnival's "Holiday"). It's large enough to offer a large variety of things to do and yet is small enough to still be 'cozy.'

I don't need to ice skate, rolloerblade, rock-wall climb, etc; on a cruise. I can do that elsewhere.

Yes, I think this trend is getting way out of hand! How do you get on and off a ship this size?? Way too many folks for a single ship to dump into a port of call at one time!

It is all about $$$. The more we can cram aboard the more money we can make per trip.

I do think they're building the ships too big today. I don't think that I'd want to go on a ship that's 220,000 GRT. The "Infinity" is around 92, 000 GRT, and that was big enough for me. I don't know how you would avoid lines and usually the service and food is better on a smaller ship.