• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
jbond

February 6th 1958

Rate this topic

It's one of those days in history that you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news. It was a typical English winter's day, misty and cold. I was at college when the news came on the radio.

"Seven Manchester United footballers are among 21 dead after an air crash in Munich.

The British European Airways (BEA) plane caught fire shortly after take off this afternoon with 38 passengers and six crew on board.

The footballing world is reeling from the loss of some of its most talented young players - known as the Busby Babes."

I can't believe that it's 48 years ago today. The death toll rose to 23 and Man U's loss rose to eight when Duncan Edwards died several days later. Duncan Edwards was 21 and was probably the best midfield player in the world. He would have rivaled Pele as the world's best, had he lived. United were returning from Belgrade after a European Cup game and the airplane had stopped in Munich to refuel.

I have a lot of Man U memorabilia in our game room. One of the things I have, is a photo of the team taken before their game with Red Star Belgrade, the programme from the game and the programme from their next English League game after the crash. It has just a couple of names in the line up, all the others were A.N. Other, English for TBA.

Man U is the most followed sports franchise in the world, in any sport, and it's the tragedy of Munich, followed by their rising from the ashes that sparked their popularity.

alt text