• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Irons

Rate this topic

myval48

It really depends upon who is scanning the bags.

Travel irons are not allowed for the obvious reason, that it could start a fire if by chance it was left on. Just as they occur in many homes through out the world as they fall onto the board and begin to smolder.

We have brought one onboard, but we use out steamer iron more often.

You can pick one up at wallgreens or your local mega market. If you do pack an iron place other metal items around it so it can not be seen as such by the scanners.

If I have a shirt or pants that are really wrinkled I will have the ships steam it. I have paid like $3 for my tux shirt to get it dry cleaned.

It has been a few years since we have been on board a Carnival, but as I recall every time we have been aboard one there has been a laundry room with ironing boards and irons.

That being said we sometimes take a steamer with us just in case.

Scary thought - having an iron cause a fire. Not like on land where you can just walk away. Carnival has great laundry rooms on every floor - so why run the risk - especially with something that has the potential to cost lives. Also an iron would take up room in your luggage as well as add weight if you are flying so why bother? Just mho :grin:

......OK, so you've heard enough about the Britanis; but, this string jarred another memory loose.

The current in the cabins, aboard the Britanis, was 220. Therefore, an iron, or hair dryer, or whatever, wouldn’t operate in the cabins. Several decks had a fairly large room that was fitted with 110 current. There were also several fold-down iron boards available. Passengers would gather to dry their hair, and iron their clothes, and it was really very social. Each room had a sing informing the passengers that the ship was not responsible for items left behind. If you’d like to see one of the signs, ask me to show it to you the next time you’re in Florida. You see, I sailed on one of her last voyages, and figured, well, it was only going to be scrapped. Technically, I saved the signs life.

There are irons/ironing boards on each deck but be careful if you use them. A friend tried to iron her formal pants and burned a hole right through them. :shocked: It appears that the one she used got hotter than a normal iron. Steamers work well and so does the Downey wrinkle release though don't expect it to look as if it was ironed if you use the spray. It works on the worse wrinkles but I found that it will leave some of the smaller ones. <]