• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
hazelson

Any gardeners out there?

Rate this topic

The rain finally stopped! After record breaking rainfall we finally got two whole days of sunshine - so out to the garden I went.

I have no nails left and my back is totally shot but - dang - it feels great to get out and dig in the dirt. I got the greenhouse all cleaned out and ready for action - springtime here I come! :grin: :grin: :grin:

When can you start planting out where you live? By the long weekend in May (around the 20th) we have everything out and blooming. Not exactly the tropics but great all the same.

Next to cruising - getting back into the garden is what I love to do most (now that I am too old to remember all that other GOOD stuff!)

I'm an avid gardener...

It's great here, in south Florida, because I can garden all-year long.

I've got a bunch of ripe tomatoes, right now, and the plant will keep producing 'til mid-May. The weather gets too hot, then, and the plants wither.

I always wait till after Mother's Day to be safe.........sometimes I start my seedlings in the house and by the time I get my tomato plants out they are well established. Sometimes Ken cheats and buys established tomato plants but then I tell him he really didn't grow them ....a hothouse did ...lol

unfortunately living where we do the best I could hope for is a planetr garden .. I love tomatoes but with the heat in the Valley here where we live in the summer its hard to grow in a bucket..really need earth ..so all i can do is wish you guys luck.....so Good Luck!<]

We have had a really mild winter here. I've started lifting and replanting. I know what you mean about a sore back. Spent a whole day regrading our fire break. Playing on the tractor is a lot of fun.

I need to start spraying the Roundup, the weeds have a really good head start this year.

In the Peas go in on the first full moon in April.

Otherwise I plant the garden around May 16th which is usually the last frost.

Memorial Day weekend is generally when the flowers go in.

But on February 15th I begin my basement greenhouse.

Tomato's

and

Impatients are my first

Then in March I will start my coneflowers

and my shasta daisies

Sending rubs to all of you with sore gardeners backs :wink:

Joey - thanks for the link - I signed up. A little different from the original Old Farmers Almanac - wonder what Ben Franklin would have thought about all this new technology?

eagle-forest - sounds like you've got a handle on things already. I have never had any luck starting impatiens from seed - any tips?

I have a decent sized greenhouse - unheated. Dh bought it for me after two winters suffering with S.A.D. - it helped so much - just to get out there and do something - anything lol. It is amazing how warm it gets in there with just a minmal amount of sunshine. I also have a heated propagating box that gets things off to a great start.

Green thumbs to everyone - no matter how large or how small your garden!!!

Hey Jennifer,

I buy my impatient seeds from www.parkseed.com

The ones I got last year were Sunrise (3334)

and sunny lady mix 3476

I have lights in the basement and start the seeds with the lights almost touching the trays.

Once they pop slowly lower the trays so that the green never touches the bulbs.

I do use grow lights.

Once I put them in the ground I water twice a day everyday for 10 minutes. But I use a drip system on all my flowers and vege's.

I got mine at Home Depot. It comes with a timer and hose connections. It was like $39 but then you have to buy lots of drip hose. I bought like 300 feet but my whole yard was set. Its like $10 for 50 feet

Sounds like work to me - think I'll just cheat and buy my impatiens from the garden centre - lol. We get great tomatoes and cukes every year - but the bunny invasion takes care of most of the carrots - but I don't mind :wink: