• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Final payment

Rate this topic

JoeyandDavid

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i put a down payment, i think i put 200 down... and started to save 200 a month until my tax return came. This plan afforded me some flexablity, as if i didn't get enough back i would stille be able to pay off the cruise. But as luck would have it, and alot of overtime, i made out well and paid the cruise off with the tax return. So all the money i saved each month afforded me some expensive shore excursions, flights, passports and a decident amount of spending money. ( everything was paid off in 5mths)

this plan helped me pay off my cruise without breaking my bank, and it worked out well, and allowed me to buy some expensive goodies for myself- like 4 new pistols and a brand spanking new M1 Garand. All without touching funds for my cruise.

We normally do the deposit and make the final payment when it falls due. However you do have to keep tabs on you TA. Early in our cruising days we lost a suite because our TA spaced final payment. We ended up in the Honeymoon Suite, which was kind of funny.

For our upcoming May transcanal trip we used an online TA we have never used before. We let them pickup the booking we made a year ago January while onboard the Diamond Princess, and all seemed well. The actual agent left the company in the intrim and whoever picked up our booking missed their final payment date as stated on the booking confirmation they had sent me. However, I checked our original booking from Princess and found the TA's final payment date was one month earlier that the cruise line date, so it was no problem. I called the TA and made the payment with their accounting department.

However, I noticed on our credit card statement that they split the payment in two, sending part to Princess and the balance to themselves, which represents their commision. Never seen it done that way and not real sure I like it. :huh:

[
However, I noticed on our credit card statement that they split the payment in two, sending part to Princess and the balance to themselves, which represents their commision. Never seen it done that way and not real sure I like it. :huh:

Skipper, are you sure that the separate amount wasn't for travel insurance? If it really was the commission, you've been given a priceless bit of information: the amount of the commission. That should help you in future negotiations with TAs. If it isn't too confidential, approximately what percent of the total cost was the commission?

However, I noticed on our credit card statement that they split the payment in two, sending part to Princess and the balance to themselves, which represents their commision. Never seen it done that way and not real sure I like it. :huh

Skipper, are you sure that the separate amount wasn't for travel insurance? If it really was the commission, you've been given a priceless bit of information: the amount of the commission. That should help you in future negotiations with TAs. If it isn't too confidential, approximately what percent of the total cost was the commission?

That was going to be my quetion....

I was a little curious how much they make as I do not use a TA. I have one but I book direct through the cruise line.

Let me check out the invoice and do the math. I suppose it could be insurance, but that too was from Princess. I'll take another look and post the numbers. Think the TA commission is about 15% not including taxes and port charges.

I've had a couple of local agencies try and see me their businesses here in Las Vegas over the years and as I recall that was the number they were throwing around.

Will get back with more info.