• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
GottaCruz

Have a great Thursday, Crazies

Rate this topic

Wishing all Crazies a great day. I'm just trying to keep my cool here with DD's latest antics. Taking deep breaths and doing a lot of counting these days. Anyway, it's a gorgeous sunny day here in So. Florida, about 80 degrees. Enjoy your day and to those in cold climates, I'm sending you some warmth from here. Take care.

we can sure use the warmth here in southern california.. that cold snap that had us in it's grips.. is slowly moving away this weekend should be exceptional.. todays hi will have a feel like 69 or so in my neighborhood.

Hope all have a terriffic Thursday and smile for YOURSELF today! :grin:

Happy Thursday............A cool 35 degrees here but super sunny so feels like 40 lol.............Cheryl hang in there this too shall pass and before you know it you will be an empty nester. Then you will wish they were home again...............

Joey- 69 degrees- BRRRRRR- for me, that's freezing . We had some of that cold weather here a few weeks ago- in fact it was in the 40's. I'd much rather deal with the heat than the cold. I had enough of cold when we lived in N.Y. to last me a lifetime. Stay warm. Get out that thermal underwear. :wink:

Maria, Thanks for the support. She makes me nuts. She just turned 14 on Monday and I thought , by now, she'd be a bit better. She's been driving us crazy since she's 10. Don't see any end in sight but I will just keep repeating what you said" This too shall pass." right now hubby and I are looking forward to being emptynesters, although I have to say, Jason never gave us a day of trouble. DD is making up for him. :huh:

Hang in there Cheryl. We will cross our fingers that your DD will come around.

We have 2 GD's that just went from 14 to 15 and into high school. Times have definitely changed since our daughters were that age, but they do act a little more grown up at 15.

We have sunny skies and about 40 degrees today. Almost like spring as it's supposed to hit 50.

Nah, Jeff. Love Key West but wouldn't want to do the evacuation routine.

I just keep those knee socks and flannel nightgowns in good shape.

Thanks, Keith and Rita. Right now I'm so stressed out. She is in highly gifted classes and doesn't do her work. Right now, she's in danger of being held back next year unless she shapes up very quickly. She has no motivation . I've listened to everyone about letting her sink or swim and things have gotten worse. Now I'm taking matters into my own hands and letting her quality of life be determined by her grades. When she doesn't do an assignment, I take something from her room. I've already emptied her headboard of all stuffed animals yesterday . When she had the nerve to come home with her assignment book empty, I took away the DVD player and one of her favorite bulletin boards. The school won't suffer if she doesn't go to high school next year, but I will. So now I'm going to try to get through to her this way. Plus, no phone calls, no computer access , no social life till the grades go up. Help!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck. Did you ever hear of a gifted child who was left back in 8th grade? Mine might be the first. How ridiculous.

You're probably right about her being bored, Joey. I keep telling her that everything in life can't be interesting and exciting. She has to learn to follow the rules and that the teacher is the boss. She can't function in this world doing nothing. She's also very musically talented , played the keyboard and guitar and now chooses to do absolutely nothing . The guitar just gathers dust. She has no motivation for anything except doing her hair and seeing her friends in school. Well , 5 minutes ago I just took her favorite posters of her walls and took down 2 more of her favorite things because I see , today, she got 2 more zeros' and a 30 per cent on something. Ridiculous!!!!!I warned her over and over not to get any more zeros or failing grades( the work is so easy for her, if it were hard, I wouldn't feel like this, of course, ) My warnings, my threats, my ranting and raving . Well, as she sees her stuff in her room dimishing every day, hopefully , she'll wake up . If not, at least, I'll her her room stark naked , which would be a huge improvement over the way she's been taking care of it. :undecided: :angry: :sad: :cry:

I have to say I think Joey is right, Cheryl. It sounds like maybe she's not being challenged enough. We went through that with my youngest son, and I feel for you.

We all struggled with him not doing his work, being bored, etc. He's into computers and has been since he was 5 years old. We knew early on that that would be the field he'd go into. When he started community college, the professors had HIM teach the classes because he knew more than they did, and he was bored with the work they gave him to do. That only lasted one year...we had him transfer into a computer-oriented school. He still had to do his general classes, but there were so many more advanced computer classes, he was finally happy.

I know how very frustrating it is for you to deal with this when you know she can do the work. What you're doing is fine...taking things away from her until she does the work, but really, try to calm down and sit with her and explain WHY she has to do the work, even though you know how boring it is for her. I found that if I sat with both my kids and calmly explained things to them, it worked better than pulling my hair out. Of course, it doesn't guarantee it will work, but maybe if you explain how important it is she get through this, hiogh school is more fun, more activities to do, but they won't allow you to do it unless your grades are better and you do your work, she'll be able to get into the college of her choice, get into the program she's interested in, etc. At 14 years old they just don't see the future picture, and how important it is.

If nothing else, explain to her how embarrassing it will be for her if she gets held back. Everyone always told me that the 'sink or swim' process was the way to go. Never, never, never. I saw the kids that went through that approach, and it doesn't work.

You're a good Mom...believe me, I know this because this bothers you so much. Just try to appeal to her good sense...whatever she has left! and let her know you always back her up. She'll come around. And in the meantime if you have any hair left, it will turn white!

Good luck!