New Features: Member Referral Links, Top Posters, Member of the Month!

Read more here

• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
GottaCruz

Interesting and encouraging

Rate this topic

I received this e-mail today and wanted to share it with everyone, especially those who are struggling with their kids.

Einstein was 4 years old before he could speak. Isaac Newton did poorly in school and was considered "unpromising".

Beethoven's music teacher once said "As a composer, he is hopeless".

When Thomas Edison was a young boy, his teacher told him he was too stupid to learn anything and suggested that he pursue a field where he might succeed by virtue of his personality.

When he was 21, F.W. Woolworth got a job in a dry goods store, but his employer would not permit him to wait on customers because he "didn't have enough sense to close a sale".

Michael Jordon was cut from his high school basketball team, and a newspaper fired Walt Disney because he "lacked imagination and had no good ideas".

A person may make mistakes, but isn't a failure until he starts blaming someone else. We must believe in ourselves and somewhere along the way, we must meet someone who sees greatness in us, expects it from us, and lets us know it. It is the golden key to success.

As I posted in another post to you Cheryl, I see this in my own kids. Once they find their niche, and get interested in something, they take off. Your daughter will find her way, and you'll look back on this time and wonder why she made you go through it!

When my oldest son got into college he got all A's and was on the Dean's List the entire time he attended school...all the way through his MBA. I once asked him why he got such great grades in college and was just an average student in high school. The only thing that interested him in high school was pitching on the varsity baseball team. He told me high school was a waste of his time and boring. He said in college you get to take classes you're really interested in and care about. In elementary, middle and high school you have to take what THEY want you to take.

I'm pretty sure that's what's happening with your daughter right now. I remember being 14 years old and not caring about anything but what my friends were doing, and being with them.

GottaCruz,

Your post was very inspirational and encouraging.

I'm hoping for all of my young relatives to reach their full potential and to be able to overcome all obstacles that may come their way. I hope to be able to counsel them to be self motivated enough to make some positve mark or score based on what they chose to do in life, but most of the motivation has to come from within themselves.

I would have never had the desire or the need to ASK that question. Had it not been for my dad telling me there is nothing I can’t do.

I have been inquisitive for as long as I can remember doing the boy thing taken things apart to see how they work.. the question of why we do what we do… challenging authority with proper respect and winning.. I was able to do all that only because I had a father that said there is nothing I cant do as long as I do it with respect, consideration, and from the heart.

I have mentors teach me to Question everything.. if the person is telling you NO then you are talking to the wrong person, but most of all I learned. Trust but Verify and most importantly Monetary Gain is not the only gage of success.

Success comes in many forms…Failure comes when Successes aren’t encouraged

<]

Thanks, Cheryl! Those are inspiring stories. I used to have low self-esteem. One thing I learned over the years is to have confidence in myself and to say, I can do it, instead of I can't. I have a ways to go on this, but, I've accomplished some things that I thought I never could. No one could ever be a failure who has tried and given it their best. We're all different and we excel in different things.