• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Celebrity sightings

Rate this topic

boba

I was once on line behind Jim Henson, while waiting for a plane from London to NYC. Our jazz cruise last September was loaded with jazz greats, most notably Bucky Pizzarelli, whom we kept running into off the ship.

As people from the New York area, we've learned to be blase about celebrity sightings. Years ago, Joan was next to Dave Winfield while waiting on line at the bank. A real Mutt and Jeff scenario: 6' 5" Winfield and 5' 0" Joan. No big deal: Dave lived in town and was a founder of the bank. Lots of pro athletes live in our town, and have done so since Elston Howard moved in 45 years ago. Running into them happens quite a few times each year. Our kids learned long ago not to ask for autographs from Bob McGrath (from Sesame St.), another town resident.

Similarly, the New York thing to do about celebrities encountered on the street, whether Jackie Mason, Peter Jennings (both of whom I've seen), or famous athletes, actors and actresses, is to ignore them and give them their privacy. After all, they work here too!

:cool: Thanks everyone. I work at a gas station in the town next to Foxboro Ma. where the N. E. Patriots play, so we get a lot of them coming into the shop. I guess if you're an A-list celeb you can afford to take a more exclusive vacation. :cool:

:grin: Several years ago I went to NY city with a group of hairdressers for a hair show and met Anthony Clark of " YES DEAR" (the preppy dad) at Carolines Comedy Club . He was still doing stand-up comedy and wasn't real famous, but I recognized him. My friends didn't know who he was and he and I had a real good laugh about it. He is from Kentucky I believe, and I from North Carolina so needless to say we were the only southerners in the joint. The local yankees kept asking us to say different things to hear our southern twang. Each time I watch his show I think of my run in with him and how most stars really want to be treated like normal people. (I did say MOST stars, There are some real DIVAS out there).

Ran into Tiny Tim at Detroit Metro Airport Early one morning ... Hate to speak ill of the dead, but the man reeked..whew!!!

Talk about Mutt and Jeff, many moons ago I worked as a busboy at the Paddock Club at Detroit Race Course (horse racing), in the next section to mine Willy Shoemaker (the Jockey) was having dinner with Wilt Chamberlain. They were part of a private party at the club.