• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyandDavid

Don Knotts

Rate this topic

alt textalt textalt textalt text

LOS ANGELES -- Andy Griffith says he remembers Don Knotts as a man with a brilliant comedic mind.

Knotts, best known as Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," died Friday night of pulmonary and respiratory complications at a Los Angeles hospital at the age of 81.

Griffith, who played Deputy Fife's boss, Sheriff Andy Taylor says he and Knotts "had a long and wonderful life together."

Griffith describes Knotts as "a small man," but says "everything else about him was large," including "his mind, his expressions."

He says "Don was special" and he "loved him very much."

The West Virginia-born actor's 50-year career included seven TV series and more than 25 films.

But it was "The Andy Griffith Show" that brought him TV immortality and five Emmys.

In 1979, Knotts replaced Norman Fell on "Three's Company," playing the would-be swinger landlord.

And early in his career, he was an original cast member of "The Steve Allen Show."

Knotts, who was shy and soft-spoken, once said he was most proud of the Fife character.

Offical Site

http://donknotts.tv

My condolences to all of Don Knotts' fans.

The color photo in the center makes it appear that he could have played more dramatic roles. He sometimes had a very serious look about him. I would have loved to see him in some serious roles. Don Knotts did perform a small role, Wilbur Peterson, in "Search for Tomorrow" from 1953 to 1955. With a name like Wilbur Peterson it was probably a comedic role.

Don Knotts had a good run and he worked all the way to the end. He will be missed.

How sad. I loved him best in the Incredible Mr Lippit! I still watch the Andy Griffith show when I find it. He was a great actor and will be missed. :cry: Great pics.

We remember him best as the "nervous" guy on The Steve Allan Show. (I guess we are showing our ages!) He was a great comedian and actor.

My fondest memories of him are also as "the Nervous Guy" on the Steve Allen Show. Steve would ask him his occupation, and he'd reply he worked in a bomb factory. When asked his name, he'd reply K.B. Smith.

Allen would ask what the K.B. stood for, and he'd reply, "Ka-Boom." The audience would roar. Allen would then ask, "Are you nervous," and, shiking and sweaty, he'd answer, "Nope!"