• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Mebert

Olympics Are Over

Rate this topic

The Olympics are finally over.

Did you discover a new winter sport that you like?

I've always been a big fan of Roller Derby, so Short Track skating is my favorite, followed by Speed Skating.

I really enjoyed watching Apolo Anton Ohno and Shani Davis in their respective events. They made for an exciting evening of sports.

I also like to watch figure skating but it makes me very tense. I don't like to watch the jumps. I'm always afraid that someone is going to break their neck trying to do a triple jump or a quad. Even ice dancing is getting tougher. Ice Dancing used to seem so easy. Now, the athletic elements are causing the skaters to add more dangerous elements to their program. Ice Dancing is becoming as exciting as Pairs.

What did you like?

I'll go along with you, Mebert. I've never seen anything as frantic as the short track relay. Joan, on the other hand, loved the figure skating, even though she never saw the top skaters because NBC chose to air them after we went to bed. Joe

Mebert since you seem to like the ice sports but they made you tense, you should have watched the curling!!! The US took the Bronze and like any other sport once you figure out the rules and everything else it becomes a fairly exciting sport.

Apollo was here in Lake Placid two weeks before the Games to practice and compete against the Canadian team. Four years ago we went to a demonstration in the 1980 rink to watch the speed skaters, simply amazing!!!

We try and go see the Ice show that Scott Hamilton puts on every year, they now practice here in Lake Placid where the show has it's official start. I know that it is in another thread about meeting celebrities, but here we bump into the athletes all the time. I've met Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, seen Apollo on the streets. Tom Brokaw owns a home in Lake Placid, Garry Trudeau(Doonesberry cartoonist) is a native Saranac Laker. Of course I bumped into John Gotti jr once, he spent some time in our local Federal prison :sealedlips:

Joanandjoe,

The U.S. hopeful for the gold was under a lot of pressure and had two falls. The Russian hopeful faltered as well. The gold went to Japan. You see what I mean about the tension?

hamster92256,

How lucky you are to live near a venue that you can see Short Track and Speed Skating. Look at all the celebrities you bump into.

I wish the networks would strive to show more diverse sports during the year. Even the sports channels seem limited.

I love basketball, baseball and football, but I also like to watch skiing, speed skating and track and field events. They used to come on more regularly. I hope they make a comeback.

I love watching everything, but my favorites are the figure skating competitions... singles, pairs, and dancing.

Love the downhill and arial skiing, also! I'm just amazed at the courage and determination of all the olympic competitors.

Sasha Cohen had a perfect performance in the short program and took first, and then in the long she fell twice but got up and gave a great performance after. She took the silver.

Joey Cheek won a gold in skating racing competition, and he gave his 40,000 to charity. You see them falling and having injuries and still going back and winning. If not at one Olympics, they come back to win at the next. Amazing, and so inspiring! It's also so wonderful to see all the countries coming together in peace. Even North and South Korea walked together in the opening ceremonies.

Shari2,

You are absolutely right. There are some very inspiring moments captured in the Olympics. I'm just sorry that we don't get a chance to see some of these events a little more in between the Olympics. We have to wait four years to catch the schedule.

We were only able to watch a few times and the events we liked were not on when we could watch. (Hockey for me and Ice Skating for Rita)

The next winter Olympics will be in Vancouver, so I guess we could all go pay Jennifer a visit in four years.

Keith & Rita,

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to watch much of the Olympics. There were some exciting moments, particularly in the speed skating. You probably would have enjoyed the hockey if you didn't care about the outcome. It was very disappointing for the U.S. this year.

Wouldn't it be exciting if you could visit Jennifer?

What can we do to get more winter sports on the air during the other years?

I also loved watching Apolo...what an athlete.

We didn't have the chance to watch most of the Olympics either though...it's on so late at night and we get up at 4:30am. It's disappointing they have to televise it at times in order to get the best ratings, rather than when people might be able to actually watch it.