• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Joanandjoe

Zim Israeli Shipping Line Backs Dubai Ports Deal

Rate this topic

DaCruzNut,

Thanks for posting the letter to Hilary Clinton.

I think the U.S. government is doing a very poor job in educating the American Public in regards to the exact nature of the association and the work that DP World will be doing in the U.S. ports. They keep saying that DP World will not be involved with security. If security is not the nature of their business, what is the nature of their business? How are we to prevent a Trojan Horses from coming to our shores if this company should be infiltrated.

Give the public more information instead of making the decision and saying that's the way it is whether you like it or not.

This sort of attitude stems from our leadership forgetting that they are public servants and they work for us. We pay their salaries.

We have a right to be concerned with our ports and the personnel who works there if they are from a foreign entity that has had people within it that are against the American people.

This transaction should not be rushed through until our fears are allayed. Since 9/11 we have come to a realization that there are people in the world who want to harm Americans. It does not matter who the Americans are as long as some harm is done. Our fears are very real and should not be pushed under the rug based on a financial decision.

Knowledge is power. Empower us by giving us information.

This letter, and the man who wrote it, have to be questioned. You need to have a litttle history, with regard to Mr. Ofer in order to put the letter into its proper context..

In his role as head of Zim, Mr. Ofer is not liked by the Israeli Government. There is a government ban on all Israeli companies, forbidding them from doing business with countries who have sworn to eradicate Israel. Zim skirts the Arab boycott by running ships under other nations’ flags. It does not operate as an Israeli line.

He is, also, the Chairman of the Board of the Ofer Group, an Israeli corporation. It’s one of Israel’s major investment-holding companies in the fields of chemicals, liner shipping, energy communications and advanced technology. The company has major financial investments in Arab countries, including Dubai.

Not exactly an impartial testimonial…

------------------------------------------

The major reason the the Israeli raid on Entebbe was so successful was that the Israeli's helped build Entebbe and had intimate knowledge of it's layout, and weaknesses. The UAE/Dubai doesn't have to be directly involved in the security of the ports. Its foothold will guive it sufficient information to learn where the weaknesses in security are.

We're told we're fighting a war on terrorism. I don't think turning our ports over to the enemy is a very good strategy. 64% of the American people seem to agree.

Mebert-

It's general knowledge for people who follow these things. However, before I posted it, I went to several sites to verify the information.

The information about Entebbe has been widely discussed.

You can verify the info using Google, or a similar search site.

DaCruzNut,

I was curious about it because I wanted to see if CNN reported a complete story that included the info you had posted or if they just wrote that Hilary Clinton received a letter without the background info. If they did that, I'm wondering what kind of journalism that is.

alt text

No, Mebert, it wasn’t on CNN…

CNN also failed to mention that Idan Ofer formed, and managed, Tanker Pacific Management Group, which operates the largest private tanking fleet in the world. And, guess what those tankers carry; Arab oil.

Nor did CNN mention that Mr. Ofer is a member of OneVoice, a pro-Palestinian “Israeli-Palestinian conflict resolution group.â€Â

Jeff (aka DaCruz Nut), I certainly didn't know that background when I posted the letter. As you indicated, CNN certainly didn't give that information.

Maybe you should write a letter to the four NY and NJ Senators (Clinton, Shumer, Lautenberg, and Menendez) giving them your information. Joe