• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

OK, Sort of a Cruise is not a cruise!

Rate this topic

Joanandjoe

I have taken the Discovery one-day cruise, several times. I don't count it in my "list of cruises," but it's a nice little getaway. It leaves ft. lauderdale early in the am. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style. the food is surprisingly good.

The ship arrives in Freeport, bahamas (about 65 miles from Ft. laud) in the early afternoon and stays for several hours, before returing to Ft. Lauderdale.

The 'standard' dinner is, also, a buffet, but for an extra fee, you can get a sit-down dinner.

The fare is $99.00, per person, but does not include a cabin! Cabins are extra, but necessary...

It's OK for a one day trip, but I, much, prefer the Regal Emress, a REAL two night cruise, with full service, and all the true cruise amenities, to Nassau, for $149.00, per person, cabin included....

i figured you probably weren't thrill seekers, did you know they have a hardtop version? you stay perfectly dry!

belive it or not i took my 86yr old grandmother on the hardtop tour one fall, she loved it because it shows paneramics views of the trees turning color in the gorge, she like it so much the following month she took the senior's "club" on the trip and they all enjoyed it.

another thing not too far away is the niagara locks tour in lockport, thats a real relaxing tour and alot of intresting history.

Since Joe has been to the Falls area at least 50 times, and Joan at least 30, if we want to do it and it's within 30 miles of the falls, we've probably done it--whether Welland Canal, museums in Buffalo, Shaw Festival, Maid of the Mist, the NYS park with the little islands, forts on both sides of the river, Grand Island, etc. From your comments, it sounds as if you're from the New York side of the river.

I did a 10 day sialing trip around the Hebrides but that cant be classed as a cruise as we had to sail the 35 foot vessel ourselves!!

I have done ship visits on HAL Westerdam & Prinsendam for the day where we have indulged in hosted lunches & ship tours so I suppose those were cruises that were not cruises?