• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Holland America Battles Breast Cancer

Rate this topic

Joanandjoe

We'll probably both participate on our 11/25 Noordam cruise.

Anyone who's ever participated in one of the myriad -- and quite successful -- "Race for the Cure" fundraising events on behalf of the Susan G. Komen Foundation can now take their support to the high seas. Holland America announces today that it will launch, in conjunction with "Race's" Susan G. Komen Foundation, an onboard 5K fitness walk on its ships. Money raised from those who participate in this non-competitive activity will be donated to the organization, which is one of America's leading foundations fighting against breast cancer. Holland America, in its statement, anticipates it will raise some $250,000 a year.

It works like this: Passengers will receive an in-room invitation to the event. Those who opt to join in, by making a $15 donation, will walk around the ship's deck for five kilometers (or, depending on the vessel, may walk 12 laps for five kilos). Holland America says it will then donate $11.75 of that to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Participants get an On Deck for the Cure t-shirt and a "Sharing the Promise" pink ribbon wristband and are also invited to a pink lemonade reception following the walk.

In a statement, Holland America president Stein Kruse noted that "'On Deck for the Cure' is a simple, yet creative way to encourage our guests to contribute to a great cause, while participating in a fun and rewarding onboard activity" and he's got a good point there if the foundation's byproduct -- raising community spirit -- is as true at sea as it has been on land. Kruse anticipates that 500 walks will take place aboard the fleet's 13 ships this year.

"On Deck for the Cure," which was tested out onboard in February, will begin to roll out on Holland America ships beginning on April 1.

Thanks, Joan and Joe , for asking. And thank God, yes , I'm one of the lucky ones- lucky enough to have chemo, and radiation and wonderful doctors that caught it early enough. In fact, I just had a mammo this week, and thank God, all is well. That fear is always still in the back of my mind, though. I have a friend who is going through it right now. These radiologists that read these mammos are doing a superb job. Thank God for them.One of our members had posted a link for us to click to get free mammos for those who couldn't do it on their own. I'm going to look for that link . You can click it every day and I felt great doing that . Thanks so much, Joan and JOe for bringing this topic up so I can try and get that link posted again. Have a wonderful day.