• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Should I wear a tuxedo?

Rate this topic

destinie

im going on my first cruise on the above mentioned ship in july, i just got a nice jacket, dress shirt, tie and a good pair of khakis.

side note: only other time i wore a tux was at my friends wedding and at prom. since i work in "service" industry, i feel comfortable in a pair of work jeans. the remainder of my cruise will be spent in shorts and a tshirt.

When I mentioned to a friend of mine that I had bought a tux for our upcoming cruise, I told him that personally I enjoy getting dressed up. Of course it is very rare that I am seen in and around wearing anything but blue jeans, tee shirts, and leather jacket. At work it is just the standard uniform! This just gives me a chance to do something I don't normally do!! And again, if you feel comfortable with what you are wearing then go for it!!!

As you can see by these postings, a tux is OK, a dark suit is OK, and if you want to do neither, you can always skip the dining room. If you like being dressed to the nines, go for it. If a tux makes you uncomfortable, don't wear one. It's your vacation. Enjoy.

Our last three cruises, on Windstar (2) and Radisson (1) (now Regal), had no formal nights. Our next two, on Holland America and Celebrity, will have them,; and it will feel strange. Joe will probably stick to a dark suit. He's worn a tax perhaps three times in the 38 years we've been married, and the last time was about 30 years ago. Joan will wear her favorite caftans on most formal nights. She's been hooked on them since she bought two in Morocco in 2004, and has bought a few more since then.

Where we live, a clean t-shirt and jeans without holes are considered smart casual. So we love to dress up. We are currently on Island Princess and I'm disappointed with tthe dress standard. On formal nights it's like most cruises, lots of tuxedos and beautiful gowns. The remaining nights are a total mixup of anything from sweats to cocktail dresses and suits. We've seen men going into the dining room wearing T-shirts, jeans and open toed sandals. I have nothing against T-shirts and jeans :grin: , but most men don't have very delicate looking toes. :sealedlips:

It's interesting how much I learn from my siblings.

My little sister will be going on her first cruise and I tried to tell her not to overpack. I wanted to convince her that she can choose outfits to mix and match rather than try the three outfits a day approach.

She informed me that she will be on the cruise with a number of co-workers and she does not want to be embarrassed by being seen in the same outfit twice. She also said that she thinks part of the fun of cruising will be to be seen in all of her outfits.

I believe after her first cruise, she'll learn.