• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Are there guys wearing speedos & gals in thongs?

Rate this topic

gupta

My girl friend and I are off on a RCI caribbean cruise, and being in "America" are there plenty of girls in thongs, and would I be the only guy in speedos? Will there be at least a dozen or two guys in banana hammocks?

My g/f and are so excited about this cruise so that we can wear "exotic" swimwear and not having to worry about seeing people we know from home!

I don't really know how to answer this one, but let me give it a try. This can be a very touchy subject. If your speedos are tasteful you may be able to get away with it without a problem. I have not seen too many thongs on board the ship but in Europe some folks wore them on the beaches.

You probably should be prepared to keep it near the pool and have something to coverup with if you attempt to sport a thong on the ship. You might get stares.

I'm sure it's completely unacceptable to walk around the entire ship with speedos and thongs. The dining room and buffet are definitely out.

In todays climate when so many things are happening on ships, one would not want unseamly characters to develop a certain schema about you or your girlfriend based on appearance. You'd better have a safety plan in place and avoid an overindulgence in alcohol and be aware of what's happening around you.

I may be wrong with some of the things in general I think the above might be the case.

Welcome to CruiseCrazies and keep asking your questions. Others with more experience will certainly chime in.

Welcome aboard, Gupta.

I'm unfamiliar with RCCL, and it may be more relaxed than the lines I've been on--Holland America, Celebrity, Regal, Radisson, and Windstar. On any of those lines, a person wearing thongs or tight Speedos - especially the thongs - would soon find himself or herself the subject of stares, and postings on cruise boards about inappropriate dress. On RCCL, I don't know.

I'd suggest bringing the fashionably scanty swim suits, but also bringing cover ups and conservative swim suits. If others are wearing Speedos and thongs on the ship, or if you don't mind being stared at, wear them; otherwise, wear the conservative swim suits on board, and the fashionable ones on the beach (under your other clothing in getting to the beach).

On the lighter side of this discussion, many years ago I went to Martinique(Club Med), and was introduced to the thong and speedo type swimsuit. I hate to say it but there are alot people out there who shouldn't wear those type of suits :shocked: . This was in the late 70's and since then I believe that only athletes and models should wear them, not your average person, some things are better left to the imagination :grin:

On the serious side having younger children around it is not always advisable, its that kind of world we live in.

We were just onboard a Carnival ship last week and the comedian brought up this very subject. He said, (and I quote), "It's just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG."

Like Chris mentioned...he said that only athletes and models should be wearing speedos and thongs, and certainly not on a ship where there are children present.

So, like JoanandJoe said...you can bring them with you and wear on the beach, but I don't think it would be a good idea to wear them around the pool, no matter how great you look.

I haven't seen them on the ships we've been on except the last one..MSC Lyrica. It is an Italian ship with lots of Europeans and had thongs and speedos galore in all shapes and sizes. I too have seen them on the different islands. :grin:

Mickig

The only time I have ever seen a girl wearing a g-string was on our Voyager cruise Eastern.

And shall I say she got many a look

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?act...security=WOlIUP

I have seen many guys in speedo's however many of them should have chosen board shorts/

We've only seen one person on RCI in a speedo. He was in the adult only pool. Yes, many stared and made comments. Can't remember seeing any woman in a thong. I know if she wore that at the general population pool she would be asked to cover up, (one of the crew told me that) can't say for the adult pool. On the newer ships children have to pass through the adult pool area for many things so I'm not even sure a thong would be acceptable there either.

I'd plan to use those suits on the beach, not on the ship.