• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
DaCruzNut

Happy Birthday, Jerry!

Rate this topic

alt text

In honor of Jerry Lewis' birthday, today, I searched for a short biography to print here. I spent considerable time, but, because of his many accomplishments, they all went on, and on, an on....

So, here's an excerpt from one of the bios; a very limited look at this great man...

....................................................................................

Born Joseph Levitch to show business parents, Lewis made his debut at the age of five on New York's Borscht Circuit singing "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" He quit high school after a year and began making the rounds with his "Record Act", miming and silently mouthing lyrics of operatic and popular songs played off-stage. On July 25, 1946, he began his partnership with Dean Martin, an association that would skyrocket them to fame. Initially working separately, they found success together, improvising insults and jokes, squirting soda water, hurling bunches of celery and exuding general zaniness. In less than 18 weeks their salaries soared from $250 a week to $5000. The producer Hal Wallis put them in their first film "My Friend Irma" (1949), and the pair managed to sandwich sixteen money-making films between nightclub engagements, personal appearances, recording sessions, radio shows and TV bookings before disbanding in 1956 after their July 25th show at the Copacabana, ten years to the day they had first teamed.

Happy Birthday, Jerry!

I love Jerry and Dean! I used to stay and watch all their movies at the movie theatre when I was a kid. My favorite movie of theirs is "Scared Stiff." I think I stayed and watched that movie three times in a row, and my mom had to call the movie theatre to get me and my brothers to come home. LOL Love Dean's voice! I have a lot of his music.

I admire Jerry for his work with Muscular Dystrophy. I used to always watch the "telethon" and cry at the end when he sang "When you walk through a storm."