• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise ship fire

Rate this topic

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another article I just found...

March 23, 2006

Fire Aboard Star Princess Leaves One Dead

One passenger died and several others were injured when a fire broke out aboard Star Princess early this morning. According to a statement on Princess' Web site, the ship was making its way from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay when the fire broke out at approximately 3 a.m. and quickly spread to adjacent cabins. One passenger died following a cardiac arrest, while two passengers suffered "significant smoke inhalation injuries" and nine others experienced "minor complications resulting from smoke inhalation." All injured passengers are now in stable condition in the ship's medical center.

As soon as the fire was detected, ship staff made an announcement over the public address sytem and all passengers reported to their muster stations, where everyone onboard was accounted for. Family members of passengers currently onboard can call the following number for more information: 1-800-693-7222.

Princess has not yet determined the cause of the fire, which started in one stateroom and spread to several adjacent ones, but the line confirms that the fire has been completely extinguished. CNN has reported that as many as 100 cabins may have been affected. Princess notes that a bit of residual smoke still remains in the affected area of the ship.

Star Princess is now in Montego Bay undergoing damage assessment. The ship departed Ft. Lauderdale on March 19 on a Western Caribbean itinerary scheduled to call at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Princess Cays. There's no word yet on how the itinerary will be affected, but we'll keep you posted.

It is indeed a bad week for the cruise industry. It's tragic that something that should be exciting and fun would turn into a disaster.

I really feel for the families of the victims.

Cruise Crazies, we don't know what caused the fire, but let's all be cautious with our cigarettes on the ship just in case that is the reason. I could not stand it if any of you were affected by such a tragic event.

This may not be a very 'popular' sentiment, but I really feel that these cruise ships should all ban smoking onboard.

When we were on Carnival Paradise a few weeks ago you had to walk through the smoking lounge to get to the Queen Mary lounge where all the activities were taking place. It was awful. It smelled awful, and walking through there, WE smelled awful.

I'm sorry, it's a terrible habit, ugly, smelly, and not healthy.

I admit, I am very spoiled living in California where there is no smoking allowed in restaurants, public places, etc. When we travel to other locales, it disgusts me to have to walk into a restaurant and smell the smoke, especially while I'm eating.

My Dad smoked while I was growing up and when the first reports came out in the 60's that it was not good for you, he stopped cold turkey...three packs of King Sized Chesterfield everyday, and he stopped cold turkey.

The reports are saying that a cigarette started the fire on the ship in one of the cabins. Now what for the other passengers? All their things are destroyed...what about their passports? Hopefully they had them in the room safes...the safes would survive, right? Their clothes? Will they fly them all home now?

Ugh. What a nightmare for everyone. (I'll get off my soapbox about smoking now...you probably all get the idea about how I feel about it!)

Cigarette Suspected in Cruise Ship Fire

By MONIQUE HEPBURN, Associated Press Writer

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica - Fire broke out on a cruise ship in the Caribbean on Thursday, killing a passenger, injuring 11 other people and damaging some 150 cabins before the crew extinguished the flames, officials said.

The fire-blackened Star Princess, carrying 2,690 passengers and 1,123 crew members, steamed into the port of this city in northwestern Jamaica shortly before noon. Firefighters rushed aboard.

Horace Peterkin, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, toured the American ship and said crew members told him the fire apparently started on a balcony of one of the cabins. A cigarette was suspected of causing the fire, Peterkin told The Associated Press.

"The fire damaged about 150 cabins," he added.

The starboard side of the ship which faced the port after it docked showed no damage. But some 70 exterior cabins on the other side were clearly scorched. Passengers milled about on the decks, but were out of earshot of reporters.

Peterkin said a crew member saw an elderly passenger collapse. The passenger was later declared dead.

"The person actually came outside, was walking and collapsed. A crew member actually witnessed that," Peterkin said, adding that an autopsy would be performed. He described the victim only as an elderly American man.

Jamaica's disaster office said two people remained hospitalized in Montego Bay while two others were being treated in the ship's clinic.

Peterkin said 550 passengers whose cabins were damaged will be moved to two hotels in the nearby resort towns of Negril and Ocho Rios. The cruise ship company was arranging to fly other passengers home, he said.

The ship wasn't seriously damaged and would sail back to Fort Lauderdale on Friday, Peterkin said. There was no immediate confirmation from officials at the cruise line.

"The ship is seaworthy," Peterkin said. "They'll sail out tomorrow. The cabins that have been damaged, those people obviously can't stay on board so we're moving them to a hotel."

The cruise ship was en route from Grand Cayman to Jamaica when the blaze started in a cabin, according to a statement from Princess Cruises, which is owned by Miami-based Carnival Corp.

Carnival Corp. Vice Chairman Howard Frank confirmed the fatality and injuries during a conference call. He said at least two of the injured were suffering from smoke inhalation.

The U.S. Coast Guard dispatched investigators and fire engineers to Montego Bay to determine the fire's cause and whether the ship's safety has been jeopardized, Coast Guard Petty Officer James Judge said in Miami.

The ship sailed from Fort Lauderdale on March 19