• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise ship fire

Rate this topic

We couldn't agree with you more; but it won't happen. One of the Carnival ships (it may even have been the Paradise) started out as nonsmoking, and they couldn't fill it. They ended up abandoning the no smoking policy. What a shame!

We can't wait until NJ bans smoking in restaurants. The law was passed in January, so it probably will go into effect next month (90 days until most laws become effective.)

How horrible it is that one thoughtless passenger ended up killing another passenger, injuring several others, costing 550 people on this ship their vacation, and probably cancelling a few future cruises. We're all quick to blame the cruise line when something goes wrong--give us our money back! What can the cruise line do when a passenger causes millions of dollars of damage to the cruise line?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the no smoking ban..........When we were on the Paradise in 2004 she was a no smoking ship. I think we were the last no smoking cruise on that ship...They said they were losing money because people that don't smoke don't party and couldn't fill it...........Too bad

I am in total agreement with that statement. They banned it on aeroplanes and there was an outcry. Now, there seems to be no problem. Smokers just have to accept that they are now in the minority. The sooner they implement a total ban on smoking on cruise ships the better. It is just so sad that ther has to be an accident before they will do anything about it.

This is awful - it must be dreadful losing someone whilst they are away from home in this way.

I totally agree with smoking bans, I know more & more people who are successfully giving up smoking and its all helped by the restrictions in place in certain restaurants & bars, public transport & in the office.

I agree on the smoking bans also. There's a local restaurant in our area who had to INCREASE their non-smoking sections because they had so many non-smokers eating there. Unfortunately, the bill to ban smoking in restaurants in Ohio was defeated but it's coming.

We're originally from Vermont where there's no smoking in any restaurant unless they can prove that the consumption of spirits is a certain percentage of their income. A large outcry when this was passed with the usual "we'll have to close our doors, etc" but business is booming and now families with children are eating out more because of the ban. It can only have positive effects.

Mary and Andre, I'd be worried about a cruise in the next month or so, but not for December. The ship will have to undergo repairs, but it should be good as new long before December.

While I'd like to see a total ban on smoking, it won't happen. It's one thing to ask people, many of whom are flying on business, to stop smoking for a few hours on a plane. It's something else to tell people that they can't smoke for most of their vacation. If cruise lines did that, smokers many smokers would swithch to land vacations.

Apparently the person who started the fire left a lit cig. on the balcony, and went inside. The cig. smoldered, then started a big fire. Pretty dumb! It's about equal to the morons who through lit cigarettes out their car windows, thereby starting brush fires.

Never say never, Joe...that's what everyone said in California about the restaurants, etc...that they would lose a lot of business. And, now, it's just a pleasure going into a place and not having to ask for 'smoking', or 'non', and not having the smell of the smoke surround you while you're eating.

Not sure if you heard about the Calabasas smoking ban, but here's a link to the article...this city is only about from 10 miles from my home. http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/7963148/detail.html

It may take some time, but I do believe, as more and more people wise up, that smoking will be banned in public places. I'll bet those cruise line companies are all thinking about it today.

Lung cancer is the number one cancer...and it isn't always because people have smoked. My Mom died from lung cancer and she never smoked a cigarette in her life....now you know why I'm so opinionated about this.

Sue, it's funny that you should mention the Paradise! It was specially built, and none of the construction workers were allowed to smoke while building her. She was the first "smoke free" ship in the Carnival livery. Passengers caught with cigarettes on board, not even smoking them were sent home packing....

It didn't last long! They couldnt get enough passengers to sail on her to turn a profit.

By the way........I'm a non-smoker.