New Features: Member Referral Links, Top Posters, Member of the Month!

Read more here

• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Tut

Blaze at Sea

Rate this topic

Tut,

Thank you for sharing the article. The fire looks rather extensive.

It must be devastating for the families of the fatality victim.

I am anxious to hear how the fire was caused.

From the latest news report, it apparently started on one of a cabin balcony and was caused by a cigarette. I see there are some topics started on the Cruise Forum too. Here's a picture that's on MSNBC right now.

alt text

Ouch! It's amazing there was only one fatality, but that's one too many! Smoking in bed is a danger on land or sea.

The original question was whether anyone from this board was on the ship. The question points out how important it is to put your cruises on the cruise calendar. If anyone had listed the cruise on the calendar, we'd know who was onboard.

As I've said before, here in South Florida, home to both the Port of Miami and Port Everglades (Ft. Laud.), and home of most of the cruise line's headquarters, cruising is a major part of our economy. It employs thousands of people and pumps millions of dollars into our economies.

So, when something happens, involving cruising, it's big news. our local news stations spend inordinate amounts of time, going into great detail.

It turns out that this particular fire was started, most likely, by a passenger who left a cigarette burning on a balcony. And, over 120 cabins were affected.

I'm just amazed at how much damamge was done. I mean, you look at the number of sprinklers everywhere, and how ships are supposed to be made of fire retardent materials. Look at thow those baclonies just melted like that.

Some people were thinking that it spread from balcony to balcony and then moved inward because the sprinklers didn't go off right away and because of the extensive damage and how the balconies look. It's just speculation, though. My sympathies to the family of the person who had a heart attack, and prayers for all affected.

I am not going to speculate about a cigarette causing this fire. I am not going to take "speculation"and the word of a "tourism official" from Jamaica as the gospel truth. I am going to wait for the professional investigators from England, Bermuda (where the ship is registered and any inquiries and inquisitions will take place) and the US Coast Guard. Once they publish the findings from their investigations, then I will decide one way or another how I feel about this.

But, I have to give kudos to the staff and crew of the Star Princess......with a fire this big, it is amazing that there were no direct fire-related casualties. They got the passengers to their muster stations and from all acounts I have heard so far that the passengers were kept well informed of what was going on and the crew were able to put out the fire without any loss of life.

My prayers to the family of the man who died from a heart attack.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Dan. The first thing that struck me was the extent, and degree, of damage. A simple shipboard fire, whether from a cigarette, or other small source, should not hve caused this much destruction.

I handle malpractice claims for Ansul, a fire suppression company that manufactures the units you see over the fryers at fast food restaurants, and similar equipment, and ADT Security Services, an alarm/sprinkler system company. And, from my experience, it just seems very strange. I suspect there might be a bit more to the story.

Only time will tell.