• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tips on cruising to Bermuda

Rate this topic

Joanandjoe

:smiley: Hi, Joanandjoe. I cruised last October to Bermuda and had a great time. We were docked in St. George for 4 days and the town is right there with a lot of shops and restaraunt/bars. Tobacco Bay Beach is past the unfinished church and over the hill, and St. Catherines Beach is just past there. We got a 2 day transportation pass ( $ 20.00 ?) and it covers the bus to Hamilton and the ferry to Kings Wharf. More great beaches in both areas. In Kings Wharf is Snorkel Beach where you can upstairs from the office to Hammerheads Bar, have a nice cold Corona and sit there overlooking the beach and the ocean. :cry: I wish I were there now.

A few "do not miss" activities:

First -- be sure to be out on deck when the ship passes through Town Cut on the way to dock in St. George. Not only is it exciting to see land after a mini-crossing, but transiting this narrow area is absolutely amazing. Residents also make a big deal out of it, but I will leave that as a surprise. It's worth the wait. :smiley:

When we were in St. George last year, we did our own walking tour, suggested to me by a poster on another board. Majesty. Warning... there are some steep hills involved, although surfaces are pretty even. The whole trip took about three hours, including a tour of Fort St. Catherine. Upon leaving the ship, we walked through the Town Square, and up toward the Unfinished Church. We then followed the signs to Tobacco Bay Beach (a lovely beach, by the way, we returned later that day).

Visible atop the steep hill after passing Tobacco Bay Beach is Fort St. Catherine, which my husband tells me is the largest intact fort in Bermuda. The interior contains some historical dioramas showing the history of the colony, and had many interesting tunnels, ammunition lifts, and cannons. This should appeal to anyone with an interest in military history. There was a minimal cost to get in, which I don't recall.

After leaving Fort St. Catherine, we continued walking downhill so that the shore was on our left. There were some small dairy farms on our right, that were interesting to see. Eventually, we came across some beautiful homes on the right, several with moongates. Walking further, we saw some additional forts on the left, the highlight being the one by the town cut. From this perspective, we could see just how narrow the cut was, and found it hard to believe that our ship had been able to fit through it. We then continued to follow the road back to the ship, getting some great photos of St. George Harbor along the way.

If you take this tour, I highly suggest bringing lots of drinking water, a camera, and a comfortable pair of walking shoes.

I'm sure I'll think of some more....

:smiley: Hi, Joanandjoe. I cruised last October to Bermuda and had a great time. We were docked in St. George for 4 days and the town is right there with a lot of shops and restaraunt/bars. Tobacco Bay Beach is past the unfinished church and over the hill, and St. Catherines Beach is just past there. We got a 2 day transportation pass ( $ 20.00 ?) and it covers the bus to Hamilton and the ferry to Kings Wharf. More great beaches in both areas. In Kings Wharf is Snorkel Beach where you can upstairs from the office to Hammerheads Bar, have a nice cold Corona and sit there overlooking the beach and the ocean. :cry: I wish I were there now.

Thanks for the great suggestions, Boba and Lisa. Keep them coming!

We've assembled a group of about 30 people from the cruise on another CC cruise board. Most of us plan on using bus passes and Bermuda Heritage passes, and few (if any) ship's tours. Your suggestions as to what to do in St. George sound great. Did you find any beach glass on the beaches?

The suggestion about being on deck as the ship goes through town cut sounds wondeful, but we'll have to wake up early. The ship leaves Hamilton, bound for St. George, at 6 a.m.

We didn't find beach glass, but we weren't looking for it. :smiley: I did see people on some of the beaches doing just that, though.

6 am arrival... let's change my suggestion to "be out on deck when you depart." (You go out through Town Cut, as well.)

The bus and ferry passes are a great idea. Bermuda has a very well-run public transportation system. It may help to download a map before you go so that you won't be overwhelmed when you first arrive... as we were. We are returning in August, and plan to use the bus and ferry extensively.