• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
GottaCruz

Have you had a colonoscopy yet?

Rate this topic

This topic came up in another thread and I am in favor of putting it all out there so everyone will be proactive about medical tests that could save your life. When I turned fifty , my GP. insisted I go. So after much procrastination, I decided to listen. The colonoscopy itself, was nothing. In fact, when I woke up , I had to ask if it had been done yet. You feel absolutely nothing. The preparation for the test the day before, now that was the tough part, drinking that liquid, and lots of it, too much of it. All I can say, is that it is no big deal compared to the peace of mind you'll feel afterwards. If they find anything, they can sometimes take care of it at the same time. If they find nothing, you don't need to test again for 10 years. If you've had another type of cancer, then to be cautious, you're told to test again in 5 years.

Anyway, don't put it off . These colonoscopies really do save lives.

Hugs to all.

Thanks for letting people know how important these tests are Cheryl. Yes...I had a colonoscopy around 7 years ago. I've had 3 endoscopies, but one time I had an endoscopy (tube down the esophagus) and then a colonoscopy right after, and I was awake for all. Neither one is fun, but they're not that bad, and if you're having any kind of related problems you should really have the tests. If you're over 50 the doctors all suggest now to have a colonoscopy even if you haven't had any symptoms.

I had one a couple of years ago. The prep can be a hassle but the results are well worth it.

It seems that the administration of the colonoscopy is different based on your doctor and based on the individual. I was put under for mine, but I have friends who said they were wide awake.

No one has ever really complained about the procedure. Everyone was just happy to have it done and discover that everything was o.k or that if something was found, the doctor was able to take care of it immediately.

I was not aware of anything during my colonoscopy because I was under.

I have heard of people finding more serious polyps in their colons but thank goodness the doctors were able to catch it in time.

We've both had them: 2 for Joe, 1 for Joan. We'll agree with the comments: the test is important, and well worth the tedious preparation the day before the actual test. To be honest, We've never heard of a "wide awake" colonoscopy. That's a "virtual colonoscopy", and it's not as effective as the real thing.

Hi Joan and Joe...

I did have mine while "wide awake" and believe me it was a true colonoscopy. I was given a sedative to relax me, and I watched the whole procedure on the screen, and I felt it when they rounded the bend so to speak. LOL

Different doctors will do procedures their own way sometimes. My first two endoscopies were done sitting up with a relaxant, and the last one done with a different doctor was done laying down on my side also with a relaxant, but wide awake for both. The first two the doctor let my husband look in his scope into my esophagus, and on the last one I was able to watch on a screen while laying down.

Yes. We both had one done. It's worth all the discomfort. Even if the end results aren't negative, if it's done in time, survival rate is high.

I am on my way now to have my first........ I hope to be able to check in later today..... Thanks for all the support..it IS<] appreciated more than you will know.

Hugs

Have you had a colonoscopy yet?<]

YES<]

Everything is terriffic... my colon is in awesome shape.....Because of other health concerns my next test in 5 years.! But its looking good!

Thanks for all the supportalt text

Congratulations, Joey, . Now you can go on your trip with peace of mind. You'd think they could come up with something better than that vile liquid. How did you do with that?