• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Celebrity formal nights?

Rate this topic

hazelson

We are looking ahead to next summer - like 16 months from now - for our Alaska cruise. Celebrity has some great offers for our area (Vancouver) so I'm doing my research. We like to dress up for formal nights - (jeans in the dining room - yuk!!!) but how far do I have to go for Celebrity.

DH likes his Navy Blazer and Grey Flannels (insists on French cuffs and cuff links!)and I go for silky pants suits with shiny bits (sequins sort of but not - just shiny bits lol) and dangly earrings (again with shiny bits - not diamonds just shiny bits) Will this do or do I have to wear a skirt? Don't like skirts because of back problems - pants just make things easier.

I think I may have DH convinced to invest in a TUX - either that or he has to wear a kilt. But I have to say - he definately has the legs for it.

Any info would be most appreciated.

And once we sail Celebrity - will we be so spoiled we won't want to go back to the "Funships"?

TTFN Jennifer

Jenn

David and I opt for Tuxes, we have seen Men in Kilts on Formal night and they fit right in We have seen men in Dark Suits and they looked fine.

We have seen ladies in wonderful gowns and pants and sparkilly sweater blouse type thingy.... I am sorry but i don't do ladies fashion..... but what you descibed sounds fine.. It's really all about what your comfort is .. and over this past year I have grown to know you..... Your judgement is right on the money ..Jenn.. I would say go with your gut feelings and you will do fine.

Joey - thanks for the heads up! Gotta watch out for those self appointed "fashion police" that linger outside the dining rooms lol.

Gut feelings right now are not a good thing lol.....do I have a weird sense of humour or what. I am so twisted - and I love it - tee-hee

ttfn Jennifer

Jen...I think you will be just fine. A silky pants suit with some sparkles will fit right in. On my last two cruises I saw a lot of long gowns, but I also saw long skirts and dressy blouses, and silky pantsuits with sparkles, so you'll be fine. Usually the first formal night is the most formal. My hubby was going to rent a tux, but he didn't, so he just wore the dark suit with tie, and he was fine. I think the shorter cruises and the Alaskan cruises may be just a tad bit less formal.

I think you'll like Celebrity. Their ships have a quiet elegance about them, but they're not stuffy. They don't even have announcements over the speaker excepting for a few special things. They will have plenty of activities and some nice entertainment, so you will have plenty to do. I haven't been on Carnival's newer ships or any since 1987, so I can't really compare fairly.

Jennifer - Our last cruise I wore a suit and tie and fit right in, this time I bought a tux (JC Penney), very nice looking for the price. After trying it on my youngest said that he wanted to dress for formal night, at 16 with some more growing to do I opted to find a less expensive alternative to purchasing new. On ebay I found a site that sells rental tuxs at a very good price, so I ordered him one, when it arrived I was just amazed!!! This tux looked fantastic, with shipping and handling it only came to $84, I did have to have the pants lengthened so add another $5. When my daughter boyfriend saw what it looked like he figured that what the heck and he ordered one also(with dds' approval of course). It came in and it looked fantastic also!

I'll post pics when I return from Bermuda.