• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dock rock, and other cruising trivia

Rate this topic

Joanandjoe

On our first cruise, we got off the ship, but spent two days feeling as if we were still rolling with the ship. We didn't have a name for it. Now we do. See the three Q & A's, copied from another board, shown below.

Question 1: What does the big "X" on the funnels of Celebrity ships stand for?

Answer: It stands for "Chandris." Originally, Celebrity was the upscale division of Chandris Cruises, a Greek company. If that doesn't seem to answer the question remember that the "ch" sound in Greek is represented by the letter, chi, whose alphabetical symbol is "X."

Question 2: After taking about a bazillion island tours I've begun to notice a pattern. To me it seems that generally the east end of the islands are noticeably poorer and more run down than the opposite end. Am I right, or is it just my imagination?

Answer: No, it's not your imagination. Though it isn't true 100 percent of the time, property values are often higher on the western shores of Caribbean islands. The reason is that most hurricanes approach these islands from the east, and slam into the eastern sides first, inundating that side of the island with the heaviest winds and most punishing waves and storm surge. The western sides of the islands, though not totally spared, usually fare better.

Question 3: Help us settle a difference of opinion about the meaning of the term, "sea legs." My husband says it refers to being immune to seasickness; I think it's that feeling you get when you walk off a ship onto dry land and it still feels like you're rocking. Which one of us is correct?

Answer: The last thing we want to do is take sides in a domestic dispute, but, in this case we have to side with your husband -- though strictly speaking, he's not totally correct either. "Sea legs" originally meant the ability to maintain one's balance on a pitching deck solely by shifting one's weight from one foot to the other, without having to hold onto something solid to maintain balance. By extension this has come to include the ability to tolerate a rocking ship without getting seasick. The feeling you are talking about is commonly called "dock rock," and has the scientific name "Mal de Debarquement Syndrome" (MDD or MdDS). <]

I found this on a support site for MDDS sufferers....

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (or MDDS) is an imbalance or rocking sensation that occurs after prolonged exposure to motion (most commonly after a sea cruise or a long airplane flight). Travellers often experience this sensation temporarily after disembarking, but in the case of MDDS sufferers it can persist for 6-12 months or even many years in some cases.

I love cruising but don't imagine it would be fun for extended periods......