• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

"Must buys" in ports.

Rate this topic

zebra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always feel as if I'll never get to that port again, so I try to find out ahead of time what is unique to the areal. A number of years ago (OK a high number) I went through the orient and got some ivory items for myself and for my dad. When my dad died, he left all the things to me. Now I have quite a collection, all obtained when it was legal to do so, and I've added jade as well:

ivory_ball.jpg

The ball is the first thing I got for my dad. He had gotten one in Shanghai in 1923, but lost it years later.

jade02.jpg

These I collected on that and one subsequent trip. After that, the ivory was verboten.

ivory.jpg

This is the rest of the ivory I collected, and a little jade tree.

jade.jpg

My dad added these things, and left them to me (some from Egypt)

jade-1.jpg

Here is the jade that came from Hong Kong

Of course, I can't add to this collection anymore, but it means a lot to me, to recall the trips I made and as an ongoing tie to my dad.

In Junneau Alaska we purchased a beautiful rug from a art gallery. It only cost $25 to ship home . We were going to hang it on the wall but ended up putting down on the floor. Really is a conversation piece (three large hallibut )

Ray,

Your collection is beautiful!

I've been able to collect some sea shells acquired during snorkeling in Okinawa and Barbados. Not from a cruise but travel and a visit to our Navy son and his family. I read that you can't collect shells in the USVI. So, I guess I'll have to purchase some other trinket while in port! Hey, let's go SHOPPING! LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Ray, you have an amazing collection. I also liked the globe! We bought a metal piece of artwork in Astoria, OR of a mountain and a bear that is really amazing. It was at the shops right on the dock. I'd say that is one of our most memorable. It is hung on the wall in our family room. We also got a really good deal on an Alaskan picture album with an imprint of the State of Alaska and all the major cities. That is also on display in our family room on the cocktail table with a glass top, so we put the album right underneath.

• 7 months later...