• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

"Must buys" in ports.

Rate this topic

zebra

It's gotten to the point with us, that we don't have any "must buys" anymore. I used to buy , on the ship , a piece of Swarovski crystal from each cruise and that desire wore off after I bought a few. We did the shot glass thing but ran out of room to put them and don't want to dust them. So, now we just bring back a little something for Wayne's secretary, like a mug with the ship name or a straw bag , always different. We used to get the tee shirts from the ship and the port but don't do that anymore.

I'd love to come up with something uniques to buy but haven't figured out what so I do just keep looking . I guess when I find it in a port, I'll know.

Anyone bring home something very unusual?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still wind up getting the t-shirts (mostly Steve's thing...he's a t-shirt nut). I did buy lots of blouses on the last cruise. Only one said Carnival...the others were just pretty. We usually do look for clothes in port. It's now become a second way to get some more unique items. Usually shirts and hats that we get a lot of wear out of.. Never bought pants...that's what Kohls is for. LOL I also look at beach themed nick nacks...House was decorated with Wyland stuff long before I went on a first cruise.

It's gotten to the point with us, that we don't have any "must buys" anymore. I used to buy , on the ship , a piece of Swarovski crystal from each cruise and that desire wore off after I bought a few. We did the shot glass thing but ran out of room to put them and don't want to dust them. So, now we just bring back a little something for Wayne's secretary, like a mug with the ship name or a straw bag , always different. We used to get the tee shirts from the ship and the port but don't do that anymore.

I'd love to come up with something uniques to buy but haven't figured out what so I do just keep looking . I guess when I find it in a port, I'll know.

Anyone bring home something very unusual?

Cheryl, I have a lot of "must buys".

Plates -

DSCN2501.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

Shot glasses -

DSCN2498.jpg

DSCN2499.jpg

DSCN2500.jpg

Jackets -

Copy2ofDSCN2459.jpg

Copy2ofDSCN2460.jpg

DSCN2490.jpg

Knick-knacks -

DSCN2494.jpg

DSCN2495.jpg

DSCN2496.jpg

Also, tote bags, magnets, t- and polo shirts, bumper stickers, post cards and coffee mugs :biggrin: .

Gosh of course stuff for my Granddaughters. I always bring them something nice. I did buy two end tables and coffee table in Hong kong made of teak wood. Cost more to ship home than the tables. they were worth it deep carvings on the top.

Not really a shopper. I like taking pictures of the houses and churches, landscaping (trees and flowers especially since we don't have many in Tucson) and the ocean! I also buy postcards because those pictures are fabulous.

I am a big coffee drinker so I do tend to buy coffee from whatever island we are on. There are some wonderful island cookies in the Caribbean that we have also bought. Now that the liquor packing rules have changed, as well as the luggage rules, NO MORE liquor for family and friends.

No kids, no family members in Tucson so thankfully no gifts for them!

In Western Mexico, I always get a liter of Vanilla extract. It's $12-15 per liter. That's like 40 - 45 cents per once. A lot better than $2.00 an oz. in the USA. Also, there are some great silver stores in coast ports