• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

"Must buys" in ports.

Rate this topic

zebra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We buy magnets and something to hang on our wall when we go to a new port to remind us of our journey.

Finally gave up the t-shirts.......I turned some of them into a quilt! Way more practical and an everlasting memory especially since my children won't be traveling with us as much anymore.

Mebert if you ever go to Monte Carlo they sell so many racing caps. Plenty of Ferrari etc etc - it seems like everyone on our cruise bought these Formula One racing caps. (By the way - our tour guide drove us around the entire race track, so neat.)

We don't usually plan to buy certain things except my shot glasses for my collection, and on the ship I always get a cap with visor with the ships logo on it. We get a few trinkets for the kids and grandkids. We just kind of look around, and if we see something we like we get it. We are concerned about what we have to carry back, though.

My hubby has to handle all the luggage because of my injuries, so we try not to bring much home. He does usually buy me a piece of jewelry on every cruise which is much appreciated since I rarely spend on myself at home. :grin:

zebra,

I did get one of those racing caps while I was in Monte Carlo. I recently saw the auto race on television and some of the areas looked very familiar.

I never dreamed I would be having a conversation about Europe like this. I used to hear other people saying things like "Did we meet in Rome or was it Barcelona? No, I think it was Venice. I think I'm mistaken. It must have been in Monte Carlo during the Iron Man competition." Now I see how a conversation like that can easily happen and it's not all an expensive or exclusive possibility. It's just plain fun.

zebra, tell us about your experiences in Monte Carlo in the other thread.

:cool: We tried Mt. Gay (Barbados) aged, an aged rum from the VI's and one from the De Paz distillery in Martinique. Thses were all excellent. Recently I trie a brand called El Dorado from Guyana, also excellent. :cool:

I love the blankets from Mexico. I usually find them for about $3-$5 each (or, 3 for $10 or $12) in Cozumel. The one we purchased in 1992 is still holding up very well after many, many launderings. We keep them stacked in the living room, and they are great for cuddling up on cool evenings, or as a cover for an afternoon nap. They also come in handy when trimming the cat's claws -- I wrap him up in one so that only the paw I'm working on is out. He doesn't seem to mind, as he curls up on them himself. :smiley: