• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Constellation Scandinavia & Russia July 19, 2008

Rate this topic

momwig

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kareen,

Well, we are actually seriously thinking about this one. We have not been able to decide what itinerary for 2008. We had been thinking about Transatlantic, European River cruises, Canary islands, the med. Europe has been calling us again. We started looking at this one and it sounds quite nice especially with the overnights at a few ports. So, now I am in to researching the ports a bit. Paul tells me his family was originally from Latvia.

Sounds like you have a nice roll call going on the Critic site already. I will let you know if we decide to book. It would be nice to see some familiar faces :smile: I also will say 14 days sounds mighty appealing.

Hope you are enjoying your planning. It is oh so much fun. :smile: Say hi to Bob and Susanne and Harvey for us.

Gail

Thanks everyone for stopping by this Board -

Gail it would be real nice to have you and Paul join us - we are so anxious to start planning -- but alas it is too soon - we wrote too Red October about tours in St. Petersburg but they told us to contact them in January 2008. The only other Celebrity cruise going to Riga is in August but it ventures to Germany (it is such a long ride to Berlin from where the ship docks) and doesn't go to Oslo -we think this itinerary is better

Keep us posted if you decide to join us. [/size]

Hi Kareen...

We are still considering. Have also asked another friend who is interested but she is a single and the single supplement may make it tooooo expensive for her. she is trying to think of someone who may be interested. We probably will not make a final decision till this fall.

do you know if the cruise goes by the fjords in Norway? i think i read that somewhere but can't find it now. We also looked at a cruise that went to Wan..., Germany (port hours from Berlin) and Amsterdam (which we would love to see) but we decided this cruise was a better fit and timing was better. Paul has been teaching part time at RIT and he would not have been finished with the quarter in early May.

I had read that you could not book the St Petersburg tours yet. Have you decided on Red October? Seems like the three Alla, Denrus and Red October all have good reviews. What have you found out about the tours?

The thing I miss is that there is not as much activity on the Baltic boards for ports of call. I got spoiled reading the Med boards. Things have also slowed down for your roll call but then again it is still very early. But I need to plan- it is addictive. :biggrin:

right now I will have to be happy doing my final planning and reading for this summer's trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

Take care...

Gail

Gail

I also have a woman friend who might consider going on this cruise - we might be able to make a match who knows. We will be checking about the St Petersburg tours as we get closer - although my friend and TA Sue keeps e-mailing hoping that someone will give us a proposal this far in advance. I'm not sure about the fjords - I did do a fjord cruise the first time I visited Scandinavia many years ago. Keep thinking about joining us and I will keep you posted as we make more specific plans. Your trip for this summer sounds great - enjoy the planning.

kareen,

tell me about your single friend who may be interested in the cruise. like you said if we could make a match, might be a solution for the single supplement issue. my friend is mid 50s, teacher, loves to travel, loves the theater and biking. she is very easy going and get along with everyone. we were in college together and she has been my best friend ever since.

do you have any good tour books for the ports that you would recommend? i love going to Barnes and Noble and taking a stack of books and finding a big comfy chair to sit in as i browse through the guides. hmmm... now that is heaven! :smile:

till later... gail

Gail

Marti and I have been friends since high school - we attended the same college and have remained good friends for lots of years - she is my children's godmother. She too is a lover of travel - and is like me starting her second career after "retiring" from a previous long term one. I think our friends could get along well since they both seem to be easy going and flexible. I spoke with Marti and she probably won't decide to go until the fall - isn't that when you said you would decide? So let's keep the option of making the match after the summer and see what happens. I have been to many of the ports on this cruise and kind of know which places are not to be missed for my traveling companions. But I have started researching the few I haven't visited - Riga, Gdansk, Talinn - and who knows my friend's son in Riga may even give us a personal tour. Planning is such fun.. Talk again soon.